Parkinson’s Disease Community
Do I have parkinsons disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Do I have parkinsons disease

About 16 months ago I started to notice slight tremours but took not real notice as I was about to move.
However I now have tremours nearly all of the time, and they are always in both hands, arms and legs and get much worse when I am stressed.
I am always very tense and get worried  much more than I used to.
I also have more pain and anxiety and want to know if the synptons could be because I am always anxious and streesed or  the onset of parkinsons disease
I have had Parkinson Disease for 7 years and it usually starts on 1 side of the body. You should see a Neurologist there are many of conditions that could cause your symtoms (symptoms). I wish you well.

Shakymama
To Jay080808...
Sorry to hear about your tremor, it can be scary. Not everything that shakes is Parkinson's. You didn't mention your age. The most common tremor called 'essential tremor' or 'familial tremor' is often passed down through families. This type of tremor usually effects both sides and is not evident when hands are at rest. It will be more evident when you move intentionly - like bringing a cup of coffee up to your mouth. And the tremor will be more pronounced if you are out in public as you will be under stress trying to hide it. A simple method of testing this type is to drink about two ounces of alcohol 15 to 30 minutes before an expected episode, if it helps you can most likely rule out PD as alcohol does not help it. The tremor will be slightly worse when the alcohol wears off. This is only a test and not a fix. ET normally progresses very slowly.  PD tremor on the other hand is usually but not always evident when hands are at rest and has more of a muscle twitching motion, and like shakymama states will usually start on one side - alcohol does not help it. PD tremor can be very difficult to control. To try confirming PD the prescription med Sinemet may help it, if it does help then is likely PD. You may need to wait a few years for other symptoms to appear and see if the Sinemet helps them. Best to ask your doc to refer you to a neuro specializing in movement disorders as there are other diseases associated with tremor. Hope things go well, looking forward to hear from you again - johlot.