Parkinson’s Disease Community
Drug use as a cause of Parkinson's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Drug use as a cause of Parkinson's

Hello... I'm just wondering if anyone has considered that drug use may cause an onset of Parkinson's disease?  Has anyone abused certain drugs such as cocaine that may induce Parkinson's?  Or is it based on genetic or other environmental factors?
Worthwhile question. Parkinson's from all clinical knowledge is genetic although there may be some other factors. That much is under research. Parkinsonism (which is separate from Parkinson's in that it is induced artificially) can be induced by a variety of illegal drugs such as  amphetamines. There are also medically necessary prescription medications that can cause tardive dyskinesia (such as I have) such as antipsychotics (for more information google "Patient Education Tardive Dyskinesia", note as the site itself says "some of these medications may be medically necessary") and research continues into safer and more effective treatments that won't cause this side effect. If someone is showing the signs of Parkinson's they should of course consult with a neurologist but if they have used illegal drugs in the past then that should be noted as well but Parkinsonism (as is described in the book "Awakenings") and Parkinson's Disease itself are two clinically separate criteria but only a neurologist (movement disorders specialists are generally of help in this area) would understand the clinical specifics of this in full.
Thank you that was an excellent response.  Yes I will be talking to a neurologist.  I have some deeply rooted problems with drug use, I have been sober for a year now but I realize there are many problems I have to live the rest of my life with.  I'm going to be working on it all though.

Thanks... so it is genetic, although it can be induced by illegal drugs such as amphetamines or cocaine(my guess) also which is called Parkinsonism.  I think I might either have the later... I know my dopeamine levels are very low.  

Oh... another question about parkinsonism.  Amphetamines affect the dopaminergic neuron at the pre-synaptic synapse don't they?  And they go into the vesicles that deliver the dopamine.  Cocaine doesn't do that, instead it blocks at the re-uptake terminal which is normally at the post-synaptic neuron.

So my question is would cocaine affect the same area of the brain that makes the dopamine... killing off these cells?  If I recall it's the substantium niagrum.  I can't recall exactly or the spelling... but it's an area of the brain where dopamine is made and released.
Well that's a complex question but this article should answer some of what you asked:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051214084800.htm
You could also look up the specific studies that were published at the time and discuss all this with a neurologist as well but there does seem to be some specific clinical findings to support this theory.
Thank you :S

I read something similar in a different article... another thing I read was that they are testing a drug that changes this permanent altered feedback in mice and apparently it worked.

I hope they can get that drug out there quickly.

For me, I had smoked crack (a profoundly unwise choice I know) maybe on just 20 occasions over the course of 3 years.  I have been free from it for 1 year now and I notice definite permanent neurological changes.  I think my case is mild to moderate but it's definite as far as I can say.

I am going for the drug counseling with a drug counselor because I was never able to get that opportunity.  Then I'm going to be talking to my family doctor about this.  

So this issue would be best to speak with a neurologist about then right? I was also thinking of seeing a psychiatrist... what do you think?

That's what it seems like everyone is telling me... to see a neurologist.  Also... this brings a few things to my attention as well... a dopeamine rich activity like sex needs to be avoided pretty much as it can cause a high release of dopeamine at the synapse.  And too much might be picked up by the receiving neuron.

Also it seems I should avoid taking dopeamine supplements... mucina puriffins.

And I should take plenty of dark colored antioxidants... such as pomegrante, blueberries, grapes, etc.  

It seems resveratrol from red wine is very protective to this part of the mind.  Not sure if I should be taking this from red wine though unless I learn to drink just a single glass. I'm thinking of resveratrol supplements.  Reason I say resveratrol is because this antioxidant is particularly effective at protecting dopeamine neurons on the mind.  I read a study on this as well.

Thank you again... anything else you have to add?  
I would not be sure if any specific supplements would be of help but you could speak to a neurologist about it and they would be able to tell you. Generally when a person has abnormal  movements a neurologist is the one to follow up and if they note any specific psychiatric concerns they could then refer you to a psychiatrist.
No there is nothing that can repair the damage this drug does  I looked into it, and I have been taking all the supplements I can take anyways.  This cocaine causes a permanent change in genetic expression in order to protect itself from dopeamine toxicity... and some nerve cells actually commit apoptosis.  

The hope I have is a drug that can come out that turns the brain cells left back to the way they once were by changing their genetic expression.  

Thank you, I appreciate your help.