Parkinson’s Disease Community
Is Azilect neuroprotective?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Is Azilect neuroprotective?

The most current answer to this question (Is Azilect neuroprotective?) that I have found at the site is this 10/05/2008 posting (two years ago ), and I'm wondering if there is a more recent, or more definitive answer :
"There is some suggestion from research that Azilect is neuroprotective: that it not only treats the symptoms of parkinson's disease, but that it slows the disease process, it helps slow progression of the disease. This is not unequivocally proven yet, but many physicians prescribe Azilect in the hope that is slowing the destruction of cells that occurs in Parkinson's disease. The research on this matter is currently on going, but what research is available does suggest that Azilect may be a neuro-protectant."
Thank you.