Parkinson’s Disease Community
Is Parkinson's Possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Is Parkinson's Possible?

Parkinson's has a history on my mom's side of the family, neither her nor my grandma have and they've both been tested for it. However she along with one brother are the only two of her seven siblings that haven't gotten it and died from it. She's adamant that she couldn't pass it down to her kids but I still worry. I've always been terrified of getting it, when I was born the only remaining siblings were in the late stages of the disease so I never saw them when they were still functional human beings. They were like shells, like there was hardly anything left. At the very least people trapped in their failing bodies and I've always, always been horrified of the prospect of it happening it me. It's probably the number one way I don't want to die.

Anyway like I said my mom is dead set that she didn't and cant pass down Parkinson's onto her children but I've been hearing it can skip a parent and hit the child. Is it possible she doesn't have it at all or does she just have a recessive gene that could pop up again? Could her testing have told her which it was?

My paranoia has been stoked lately because I've been having sleeping problems in the form of chronic hypnotic jerk for nearly a month as well as I've started to have really bad neck pain over the past week. Both of these are early signs of Parkinson's in woman. I'm only 20 and it seems unlikely but still. I'm afraid if I told my parents I'm worried that I may have inherited Parkinson's from them they would probably laugh it off and I seriously doubt I could get them to take me to see a doctor.