Parkinson’s Disease Community
MEMORY LOSS AND PARKINSONS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

MEMORY LOSS AND PARKINSONS?

Well my grandma has Parkinsons disease, and we only ofund out a few months ago. She goes to physio, and has regained SOME of her balance, but is beginning to shake alot. I was just wondering, how far along the track will the memory loss along with the shaking take center stage. How long  until they become almost unmanagable.
The reason i am asking this is because my grandad has Dementia for about 7 years now, and he is now in a nursing home. It was almost unbearble with him at home for my grandma and mum, also being a teenager and all. Well anyway, seeing i have heard that Parkinsons and Dementia usually go 'hand-in-hand' with each other, i was just wondering, how long it might take before we may have to put her in a nursing home?
  It depends on how it effects a person's level of functioning. It would be worthwhile to have her evaluated for a home attendant at this point as they might be able to assist. This could be discussed with his treating physician. A neurologist who is a trained movement disorders specialist would have a fullest understanding of how Parkinson's might progress and what might be needed as that occurs.
  They would have full knowledge as to what medications might be of help at each point Also dementia from Parkinson's is treatable. There are some medications such as Namenda that can be of help but only a neurologist would understand the clinical specifics.
I was worried thats all. Thank you for your help.
Parkinson's is linked to a special type of dementia called "Lewy's body dementia". These patients often become very paranoid (and critical of) their caregivers. Be prepared for this. The etiology of Parkinson's is unclear, however there is evidence some varieties are due to an HERV-W infection. In this case any immune stimulants are contraindicated. The problem is how to diagnose an HERV-W problem. If adminstration of oral prednisone for two weeks completely causes symptoms to disappear there is a good chance the problem is HERV-W. Make sure that there are no sharp edges of furniture that can be struck if the patient falls. And soft, well secured rugs (taped on the edges with gaffer tape). Also plenty of light throughout the room and hallways. No 25 watt bulbs. Eventually these patients develop problems in balancing and determining if they are "level". A strip of a different color painted along the wall helps to assist in the retention of a sense of "level".
Thank you very much. I am now aware of the chaos that i will need to prepare for at home. My grandma is naturally the person who critisizes you, and that was already without the parkinsons. "FANTASTIC!!" I can't even imagine what she will be like. Well anyway, thanks once again. I will keep this all in mind. Wish me luck!
Thanks again to all!