Parkinson’s Disease Community
My Dad and his Parkinson's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

My Dad and his Parkinson's

Looking for suggestions for my dad who is struggling with Parkinson's.  Currently his left side trembles and lately the hand is turning in a bit.  He is on so much medication that is not helping at all.  It is also quite expensive. His doctors do what they can but have yet to figure out what will slow his arm down a bit so he is not ridden with pure exhaustion daily.  I have read up on botox treatment and wonder if anyone with parkinson's can tell me if they have tried it and overall thoughts.  My once very positive father is becoming overwhelmed and depressed with the battles he now faces.  Any advise is also appreciated.    
  I have tardive dyskinesia which is clinically similar to Parkinson's. I was considered as a candidate for botox but it was ultimately ruled out due to the extensive nature of the spasmic activity. Generally it is used for localized spasms and it has to be repeated at intervals as its efficacy lessens over time. The specifics of this decision would be within a neurologist's clinical discretion.
   The best type of neurologist to treat Parkinson's is a trained movement disorders specialist. They are also authorized to administer botox so you could discuss this option with them. As they could also adjust and/or change his medication regime as needed and would likely be aware of other options it would be worth seeking a referral. Most major hospitals have an outpatient movement disorders center.
I have had parkinsons now for near 20 years, and yes the shaking all day is exhausting, it took me a long time to figure out some relief method, and I now know and realilze that taking your drugs ON TIME is crucial, I was always on only Mirapex, and the last three years a small dose of levodopa and I feel so much better, no shaking, of course the odd day is crappy, but drugs on time MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE in your well being.  I have recently added to this by having sessions of hypnosis, which also made a diffference, truly I have some days I almost forget I have parkinsons since I feel so great.  

I assume you are american, in canada i use something called trillium which assists you with drug purchases, and yes I agree, drugs are expensive, also you can look  up something called drug assistance program and they issue a card which gives you the real drug as opposed to the generic and the pharmaceutical company covers the difference.  Not sure if these programs work in the states, but they do work in Canada.

If you would like more info email me direct ***@****

Hope this helps you