Parkinson’s Disease Community
Parkinson's Disease specialist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Parkinson's Disease specialist

My mother has been to several neurologists over the past 12 yrs for her Parkinson's.  None have ever really helped.  We are looking desperately for a doctor who specializes in Parkinson's- not just a typical neurologist.  Please let me know if anyone has any referrals- we are willing to travel anywhere for the best treatment.  Thank you!
Well as a person who has tardive dyskinesia (which is clinically similar to Parkinson's) I have seen many qualified movement disorders specialists but they are all in New York City. They do have specific knowledge of Parkinson's though. If you pm me I'll give you their names and you can see if they are seeing patients (which they probably are). One thing I'll tell you (note in reading through my journal entries I am in a case study so its all being clinically confirmed) there were two treatments I found quite helpful that are underused. The first is the medication Zofran. That's experimental but FDA approved for other purposes. The other was the natural remedy rhodiola. I attended a presentation by the researcher who is studing it (google "the Rhodiola Revolution") and it was markedly helpful. It is now administered by my neurologist. So wherever you chose to go, they might not be aware of these two treatments as the others I tried (Aricept, Baclophen, Requip, Mirapex) were not as helpful as they should be but they are for some people. The Clonidine patch I use is good for controlling dystonic spasms. Ask a neurologist about all this but if you want some names pm me but the ones I know are in N.Y.C. and I would say there are facilities that study movement disorders around the country. In N.Y.C. Columbia Presbyterean though has a quite good reputation (I found this as well) and the one I go to now is the Cushing Movement Disorders Clinic but that's further out in Long Island. Hope this is helpful.