Parkinson’s Disease Community
Parkinson's Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Parkinson's Disease

Is it possible for a 16 year old girl to be in the early stages of PD? I'm sixteen years old and my hands and arms shake quite noticably. It's getting increasingly worse and I'm worried I could devolope the disease. My parents tell me that it's simply excess energy since I have ADHD, but I fear it could be more severe.
Its extremely rare clinically but there are also other neurological disabilities as well that could cause that. However, if any medication you take for ADHD can cause temporary movement disorders such as akathesia that could be one cause that's easily treated with a side effect pill. Speak to the doctor or psychiatrist who treats the ADHD and if they can't determine the cause then they would refer you to a neurologist.
I no longer take medication for my ADHD. I feel it is a hinderance to my daily performance overall. But, the side effects of the Ritalin I took was Liver malfunction, so I doubt that's what it is.
I've spoken with my doctor, and she is slightly concerned, only because she can't give me the true origin or reason for my shaking. So, we just deal with it?
I'm just concerned.

Thank you for your reply
Ritalin can cause tardive dyskinesia (a medication induced movement disorder) and that can emerge some time after going off the medication because it can mask it while causing it. Regardless of cause I strongly would suggest that your doctor refer you to a neurologist who is a trained movement disorders specialist and they rule out this neurological disability. Also go through with them any other medications (of any kind) you are on or were on. For more information on this particular topic you could discuss with them google "patient education tardive dyskinesia". If that is diagnosed it is treatable and I could post more information then on what helped me and has helped others...