Sounds Like Parkinsons?
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get a little feedback.  I am by no means a Dr. but I feel a family member may have Parkinson's Disease.  A close family member has dealt with Lyme Disease for over a year now.  He has been on multiple antibiotics, diagnosed (supposedly) with 6 or 7 co-infections, yet nothing seems to be working.  He is now having trouble swallowing, has tremors (mostly in the hand), memory lapses, difficulty speaking and trouble with balance.  Now they say it may be Lyme + Babesiosis- but that can be missed in blood tests, too, so no one is sure.  it just seems from my POV that they may be on the wrong path.  I am by no means very educated in the medical field, however, it sounds to me like there is something else going on here and I suggested he be tested for Parkinson's but was brushed off being told there aren't any tests for Parkinson's.   He has seen an infectious disease specialist, a regular GP, and experts on Lyme Disease and the feedback I keep hearing is that the medication must be working since he is getting all of the side effects from the meds (the symptoms mentioned above) yet there is no actual improvement.  This is obviously very concerning to me because I feel he is not on the right path and that while he had in fact suffered from Lyme at one point, that all of this may be from something else.  I suggested an MRI or CT Scan and was scoffed at.  Does anyone have any advice or experience with anything like this?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks
            Contessa, The very next thing you should do,is check in your community for an outstanding neurologist that specializes in parkinsons. I,m not a medical person,but I do have parkinsons.I was fortunate to have a P.C.P. Dr J. Gilbert,who sent me to an excellent neurologist,Dr Gibson. He diagnosed me with P.D. at my second app't. He put me on carbodopa/levadopa and recommended that I also go on Azilect. which I did After 2wks.
           I pretty much had all the symptoms(except the swallowing) that your family member has,after a week or so, the shaking stopped. I still have some balance problems  but all in all I feel and get around so much better.
           So, Contessa you should inquire about the location of a neurologist with outstanding credentials. You might want to go online to find your local P.D.Association. They are a fine group of dedicated Dr's and Nurses that I am sure would be eager to help you.
                                                    GOOD LUCK !!!                 keep us informed...........