Parkinson’s Disease Community
Stroke like spells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Stroke like spells

My mom has had Parkinson's disease for many years and was on siniment and doing very well.  She is 88yrs old.  The nearest Dr to treat this desease is 120 miles away.  Within the last six months she has become immobile.  Azelect was added to her medication.  She is having trouble swallowing so now getting meds in her is difficult and she doesn't want to eat much.  She is getting very thin.  She sleeps a lot.  It is difficult to get her to a faciity or Dr for treatment.  My question is she now has been having spells where she just stares and cannot communicate and becomes very rigid.  It's almost like a stoke.  She told me once she could hear me but could not respond. Dr says it's part of the disease.  She is having trouble speaking also now.  Are these spells part of parkinsons?  We live in a small community where it is difficult to get advice and it is too hard on her to travel. I am keeping her comfortable and have the help of a health care worker.  Please advise.  Thank you.  v/r Mary
Hello ,
My husband  has parkinson and is having some of the same things going on with him.