Parkinson’s Disease Community
Tremor in Jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Tremor in Jaw

I have noticed in the past few months that I sometimes have a very small tremor in my jaw. You would not be able to see it. And when I notice it happeneing I stop. I have an anxiety disorder and am on citalopram for it. Could this be caused by stress or meds or could this be the sign of parkinsons disease?
Citalopram can cause temporary movement disorders as well as permanent movement disorders such as tardive dyskinesia (for more information google "Patient Education Tardive Dyskinesia" as the site says "some of these medications may be medically necessary"). Temporary movement disorders can be treated with a side effect pill. Tardive dyskinesia if diagnosed would need a psychiatrist to change to a medication that won't cause it or mask it while worsening it. Bring it to the attention of the doctor or psychiatrist who is prescribing it and if they have any concerns then they should refer you to a neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist as although (except in its early stages) tardive dyskinesia is not reversible it is treatable.