Parkinson’s Disease Community
Use of Azilect (rasagiline mesylate) for PD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

I am a new member here, so I want to thank you for allowing me to participate.  My question relates to the use of Azilect in treating my PD symptoms.  I am under the care of Dr. Izor, in Austin, TX.  He strongly wishes me to take Azilect.  I did take it briefly for a few days. But it gave me fits, with a skin rash and itching.  I do want to benefit from Azilect...sooo I have started taking it again.

Do any of you have any experience with Azilect ?
I had thought of taking it but its a MAO inhibitor so it would interact dangerously with the Flexaril I am on. There are many medications and even common foods a person can't take with MAO inihibitors. I'm sure your doctor warned you about that though but if not ask and become fully familiar with them. The interactions can be lethal. And wear a Medic Alert pendant. But if these foods and medications are avoided otherwise the medication is safe.