Parkinson’s Disease Community
parkinsons disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

parkinsons disease

wooden tongue what is it and can it be cured please
My husband was diagnosised with PD in 1996 at age 33.
He is now 46.. In 2006 he had DBS surgery..He was taking 36 pills a day back then..they day B4 surgery...
After the device was turned on...He hasnt taken a pill since!! He had the surgery done at UVA in Charlottesville,VA.
It was a true miracle for him..The Dr said he was the 1st patient at that hospital to have an outcome like that..Most people atleast have to take 4-6 pills a day..
Im really proud of him..It took me 3 years to talk him into having the surgery..And the total for that surgery was 86,500 and Medicare paid for all of it!! I never seen a bill!!
So that was even better
Angie
I had a deep brain stimulator removed following an infection in 2007. I developed MRSA in the battery pack site in my L chest, behind my left ear (where wires were removed), my nose and my butt (required surgery to open and drain)--but NOT in my  brain, or blood.  No infections since the third surgery to remove scar tissue.  

My medication needs are WAY up to compensate for loss of one DBS unit.  Both my neurologist and my neurosurgeon recommend replacement to decrease amount of medication I am now taking (30 Sinemet a day!) With 2 DBS units I was taking 10-12 a day.

My neurosurgeon indicates a 8-10% risk of MRSA in my brain from surgery. due to prior infection vs 2-4% if no history of MRSA.  I am 60, and have had Parkinson's since age 38.  I have an appointment to see my infectious disease specialist to get her input.

Any suggestions?  Any one have a similar experience