Parkinson’s Disease Community
right hand shaking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

right hand shaking

I started boxing this week and trained on the Tuesday with no problems. I trained today, Friday and since then (9:00) my right hand has not stopped shaking? its been noticed by everyone i seen today and starting to get me worried now as its 11 hours on and showing no sign of stopping?

Im sorry if this seems like a pointless question to ask as i know there are more serious and important issues out there but i would be grateful for some help/ advice?

Many thanks
Johnny Mac
Sorry to hear about the shaking, it can be scary. Not everything that shakes is Parkinson's. Given your age reduces a PD diagnosis consierably. The most common tremor called 'essential tremor' or 'familial tremor' is often passed down through families. This type of tremor usually effects both sides and is not evident when hands are at rest. It will be more evident when you move intentionally - like bringing a cup of coffee up to your mouth. And the tremor will be more pronounced if you are out in public as you will be under stress trying to hide it. A simple method of testing for this type of tremor is to drink about two ounces of alcohol 15 to 30 minutes before an expected episode, if it helps you can most likely rule out PD as alcohol does not help a PD tremor. The tremor will be slightly worse when the alcohol wears off. This is only a test and not a fix. ET normally progresses very slowly it may stay at the same level for 30 years and does not bring on other disabling symptoms.

PD tremor on the other hand is usually but not always evident when hands are at rest and has more of a muscle twitching action, and usually starts on one side - alcohol does not help it. PD tremor can be very difficult to control. To try confirming PD the prescription med Sinemet may help it, if it does help then is likely PD. You may need to wait a few years for other symptoms to appear and see if the Sinemet helps those symptoms. Best to ask your doc to refer you to a neuro specializing in movement disorders as there are numerous other diseases associated with tremor. Hope things go well, looking forward to hear from you again - johlot.
my hand too started shaking and this is the very first time. i just got done boxing. my dad has PD but i was told it was from his medication.  hasnt stop for the last 20 mins