Parkinson’s Disease Community
tremors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

tremors

I am new here and have a few questions. Does anyone know how long it takes for levodopa to start working. I started taking levodopa for tremors I was having. My family dr prescribed it because a N/S suggested I have Parkinson's  disease. I went back a week later and my arm started to shake while I was talking to the doctor..He said it doesn't look like it was working. I thought it would take longer to work than a week ? I just had neck surgery due to a ruptured disk. I thought that would cure my tremors in my left arm but they are still there.. Has anyone been prescribed levodopa? I also have been diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation.. I am also having symptoms such as memory loss and weakness on the left side and my wife noticed I walk a lot slower than I used to. Any help would be appreciated . I am tired of getting passed around from dr to dr. I have seen at least 5 dr's and cant' get a straight answer.
I've been on Levodopa for 8 years for Parkinson's.  (PD) I'm so sorry and can relate to your frustration.  It would be worth your while  to see a Movement Disorder Specialist, which is a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders.  Teaching hospitals and bigger cities usually have one.  Mayo Clinic has them.  The advice is to start L-dopa at a low dose , 1/2 tablet twice a day, then 3 times a day and gradually build up to one tab. 3 times a day or whatever dose they recommend.  I am taking 1 and 1/2 tabs 3 times a day now but really need a little more than that.  I am trying to keep it down to a minimum because dyskinesias have started which is a side effect of long term use of L-dopa.  It is an uncomfortable moving motion in the legs or arms.  Have you seen a Parkinson's forum at www.parkinson.org?  You can write directly to the MDS doctors there.  I can't be of much help from here.  I have also had cervical disc surgery in my neck for a pinched nerve and left arm pain.  I now have neck stiffness but they tell me that doesn't affect my tremor which is also on the left side.  You might also check to see if there is a Parkinson's support group in your area.