tremors
I am new here and have a few questions. Does anyone know how long it takes for levodopa to start working. I started taking levodopa for tremors I was having. My family dr prescribed it because a N/S suggested I have Parkinson's  disease. I went back a week later and my arm started to shake while I was talking to the doctor..He said it doesn't look like it was working. I thought it would take longer to work than a week ? I just had neck surgery due to a ruptured disk. I thought that would cure my tremors in my left arm but they are still there.. Has anyone been prescribed levodopa? I also have been diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation.. I am also having symptoms such as memory loss and weakness on the left side and my wife noticed I walk a lot slower than I used to. Any help would be appreciated . I am tired of getting passed around from dr to dr. I have seen at least 5 dr's and cant' get a straight answer.
I've been on Levodopa for 8 years for Parkinson's.  (PD) I'm so sorry and can relate to your frustration.  It would be worth your while  to see a Movement Disorder Specialist, which is a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders.  Teaching hospitals and bigger cities usually have one.  Mayo Clinic has them.  The advice is to start L-dopa at a low dose , 1/2 tablet twice a day, then 3 times a day and gradually build up to one tab. 3 times a day or whatever dose they recommend.  I am taking 1 and 1/2 tabs 3 times a day now but really need a little more than that.  I am trying to keep it down to a minimum because dyskinesias have started which is a side effect of long term use of L-dopa.  It is an uncomfortable moving motion in the legs or arms.  Have you seen a Parkinson's forum at www.parkinson.org?  You can write directly to the MDS doctors there.  I can't be of much help from here.  I have also had cervical disc surgery in my neck for a pinched nerve and left arm pain.  I now have neck stiffness but they tell me that doesn't affect my tremor which is also on the left side.  You might also check to see if there is a Parkinson's support group in your area.