Pathology: Diagnostic Expert Forum
Kidney cancer now with breast lesion

Welcome to the Diagnostic Pathology Forum. We realize that pathology reports can be difficult to understand. This forum will give you a place to ask your personal questions and receive answers from a board-certified expert. The goal of this forum is helping patients understand what their diagnosis means, including types of cancer and staging. We believe that this knowledge will allow for a more informed decision concerning their health and well-being. WHAT IS PATHOLOGY?: Pathology is the study of disease. Pathologists are doctors who make a diagnosis by examining tissues and body fluids. These findings are combined with other information, including the radiological and physical exam findings, to help determine the extent of disease and develop a treatment strategy.”

Kidney cancer now with breast lesion

Hi. I'm a 31 year old healthy female. In February I was diagnosed with stage 1, grade 3 clear cell renal carcinoma. I had a partial nephrectomy at that time. Urologist is confident that I am cured. I have since decided to be followed by an oncologist who will ct my kidneys and chest every 6 months. Since following up with him I have found a lump in left breast. My gym Dr ordered a mammogram and ultrasound. Mammogram was clear but the report on my ultrasound read: a vague ill-defined hypoechoic area. Suggests benign breast tissue but this is not entirely clear. Bi RADS category 3. Any thoughts?
Hi there,
Thank you for the post.  I don't think that this has anything to do with your past history of renal cell cancer.  Breast mammography and imaging is pretty tricky and I'm not a radiologist.  With a Bi RADS category 3 most doctors would recheck it to see if there are any changes (6 months to a year let's say although I'm unsure of the guidelines).  With Bi RADS 4 a biopsy is warranted and Bi RADS 5 there's a strong suspicion of cancer.  There is a really good chance that this is benign breast tissue but they might want to keep an eye on it in the near future just to be sure that there aren't any changes.  I would also monitor it through self-exams to be sure that there isn't any change in size, consistency, etc.  Hope that this helps.
John