Pathology: Diagnostic Expert Forum
Opinion on my blood work

Welcome to the Diagnostic Pathology Forum. We realize that pathology reports can be difficult to understand. This forum will give you a place to ask your personal questions and receive answers from a board-certified expert. The goal of this forum is helping patients understand what their diagnosis means, including types of cancer and staging. We believe that this knowledge will allow for a more informed decision concerning their health and well-being. WHAT IS PATHOLOGY?: Pathology is the study of disease. Pathologists are doctors who make a diagnosis by examining tissues and body fluids. These findings are combined with other information, including the radiological and physical exam findings, to help determine the extent of disease and develop a treatment strategy.”

Opinion on my blood work

I went to the doctor about a swollen lymph node on the left lower side of my neck, and she wanted to do some blood work. She also scheduled an ultrasound of neck for a week from now. The lump does not hurt but it has been there for about 5 months. I have also been feeling really weak and tired, but not sleepy if that makes any sense. A few months ago my temp would raise to 99.8-100.5 in the evening time. My normal temp is 97.6. I have been given azithromycin and augmentin but it has not helped. I am a 20 year old female if that helps any.

Why are my monocytes and eosinophils high and my neutrophils low. Also why is my total protein and globulin high?

WBC 7.0
RBC 4.39 K/uL
HGB 11.9 g/dL
HCT 35.7 %
PLT 300 K/uL
MCV 81 fl
MCH 27.2 pg
MCHC 33.4 g/dL
RDW 13.8%
LYMPH% 39.4%
MONO% 12.5%
NEUT% 38.3%
EOS% 9.0%
BASO% 0.8 %
Sodium 139 mEq/L
Potassium 4.2 mEq/l
Chloride 102 mEq/L
CO2 28 mEq/l
Glucose 92 mg/dl
BUN 16 mg/dl
Creatinine 0.89 mg/dl
BUN/CREA Ratio 18 RATIO
anion gap 13 mEq/L
ALT (SGPT) 49 IU/L
AST (SGOT) 53 IU/L
ALP 87 IU/L
Albumin 4.1 g/dl
Total Protein 8.3 g/dl
Globulin 4.2 g/dl
Total Bilirubin 0.3 mg/dl
Calcium 9.5 mg/dl
eGFR >60 -
TSH 2.77 uIU/mL
Hi there,
Thanks for such a detailed post, sorry I'm just now getting to it.  Did you have your ultrasound performed?  I'm having trouble putting your numbers into context based on what you've told me.  Even if the percentages of monocytes and eosinophils are high it doesn't necessarily mean that the overall numbers are increased.  These numbers are elevated due to a number of causes; and elevated percentages are simply a clue to the cause: night sweats plus very high monocytes is classically seen in tuberculosis, and high eosinophils may be seen in Hodgkin's lymphoma.  The causes of elevated globulin and total protein is extensive and can include cancer, liver disease, infections, kidney disease, allergic conditions, and autoimmune diseases to name a few, but this all needs to be put into context with the findings on your physical exam.  Is there any new information available?
John