Pediatric Cardiology Community
12 yr old septal hyper trophy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

12 yr old septal hyper trophy

After a few episodes of dizziness my 12 year old sons ECG says septal hypertrophy
5 years as QB, Allstar baseball player, point guard basketball team, religious SC watcher
Have appointment with Pediatric cardiologist
Any advice on what this entails and questions to ask?  Concern is for overall health but is this ever not a sports ending condition?
Ped cardiologist should do an exam and perform an echocardiogram.  Echocardiograms are the best exams to evaluate the existence of septal hypertrophy.  ECGs can often be misleading.

DrSteeg
Turns out DrSteeg you were exactly correct. A follow up ECG and an echocardiogram at the Cardiologists office showed no abnormalities of his heart whatsoever.  Very thankful and feel blessed. Thoughts and prayers go out to those with the condition AND to those agonizing over the possibilities while waiting for an echocardiogram.

Advice: prepare but don't assume the worst even if your doctor tells you it's an enlarged heart or Septal Hypertrophy after an ECG alone. Apparently as DrSteeg expressed, abnormalities in ECG's are very common and often misleading. Our Cardiologist said he sees 15-20 per week that turn out to be nothing.

seakanga
I was so happy to hear that your 12 year old son' results have come back normal. My daughter had bi-ventricular, concentric hypertrophy and had to have a transplant; it was not an easy life for any child or teen. Take care