Pediatric Cardiology Community
15 yr old with Charlie Horse like cramping in chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My 15 yr old daughter has been having several heart related symptoms.  First, we have a strong family history of cardiovascular disease.  For the past 2 weeks, she has been experiencing near syncope, cramping in arms and legs, feet and hands swelling and going numb and tingley, chest pressure/pain almost charlie horse type cramping, dizziness, loss of energy (to the point of not being able to stand to shower and or dress).  We have gone to our Primary Family Dr and a series of tests have been done with still no answers and my daughter getting weaker.  EKG - normal, Ecocardiogram - normal, GTT - normal, 24 hr halter monitor - normal.  Now he is recommending seeing a neurologist but we are not able to get an appointment for possibly several months out.  What could be causing these symptoms??  Should I demand further testing with a cardiologist?  Should I seek a second oppinion since I do not feel our Family Doctor is listening completely to all symptoms?  At first he suggested atypical migraines...not sure how that is relating with the chest pressure and cramping.  No headache at all with in the last 2 weeks.  Thanks for the help, I am really getting worried and unable to leave her alone for any amount of time and she has missed 2 weeks of school and I dont see her going back before the Holiday Break.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can certainly feel your concerns for  your daughter and what she is going through. A second opinion never hurts, so you may want to consider that idea. I would think a evaluation from an Internist might be a better choice as it is his specialty to look at all of the internal organs and put the symptoms together to come up with a diagnosis. If your daughter's EKG, 24 hour Holter and especially the Echo are normal, this isn't a heart related issue going on. It is not unusual for growing teens to have chest pain; it is usually due to muscle and cartiledge issues. True chest pain, related to heart disease in children and teens, is due to a lack of blood flow (as it is in adults as well) to the heart muscle. The heart muscle is diseased itself, that would have shown up on the Echo without any problem as the walls are either too thin or too thick. Also, her symptoms would not have started off this quickly. The cardiomyopathies, which is what they are known as, are chronic in nature and symptoms come on gradually in those children and teens; many have no symptoms at all. Cramping in the muscles can be caused by low magnesium; has her levels been checked? Sometimes drugs can also cause cramping. Is she taking any medications, perscription or otherwise? Seeing a neurologist may also help to see what is going on. There are all kinds of things that can be going on, but most don't hit this quickly unless it's a virus such as mono. This may just be a virus. The tingling and numbness can be an issue with the neck. Has she had an MRI? The other thing you really need to do, which is difficult for any mother, is you need to sit back and ask yourself: could she be playing on your sympathy and concern? Teens can be geniuses when it comes to playing their parents especially if they are looking for their parents attention. That's the reality of the teen-ager. You made mention that you don't feel like her doctor is listening to all of her symptoms; you really need to look at this from his standpoint. You are telling him she doesn't have the energy to shower or to dress herself and he is seeing her walk into his office. People who do not have the energy to do the basics of life, do not have the energy to be walking anywhere.....that's what he is seeing and thinking because he may have already dealt with children and teens who may not actually have the energy your daughter is trying to convince him she also does not have. He is objective in what he is observing. I am not saying your daughter doesn't have something going on, by all means get her reevaluated; the cardiac issues are pretty much taken care of. Take care