Pediatric Cardiology Community
16 yr old blacks out sometimes when stands up, more frequent the last 2...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

16 yr old blacks out sometimes when stands up, more frequent the last 2 months

My 16 yr old son blacked out in his 4th grade class (now going into 11th grade) hitting the desk beside him...I took him to emergency room...they found nothing...they didn't really do extensive testing. A year ago (2008) he blacked out walking down the steps at our house...therefore fell down the rest of the way (thank God only 8 steps). Since June of this year it has been happening more frequently...meaning, on a daily or every other day basis. When he is sitting, or laying on his back and stands up he will take a few steps, black out and fall to his knees. Sometimes he will experience dizziness w/space buggies (as he explains it). I took him to the local cardiologist's office who fitted him with a heart monitor for 24 hours. He had 4 different episodes during the night that the cardiologist was concerned with. One episode at 4:00am his heart rate dropped to 35 and paused for 3.105 seconds. This same cardiologist is scheduling an appointment for my son to see a pediatric cardiologist in a local city. Is there any information, or questions you can give me to ask this pediatric cardiologist? I want to know all that they should be testing for, and what to ask them. Thank you so much.
I would certainly ask him if your son could have a Tilt Test as well as an EP Study done to check the electrical systems of the heart. You want to know what types of electrical problems your son had on the Holter. Does he have any type of Cardiomyopathy? If his heart rates are dropping in the 30s range, he will need to have a pacemaker fitted; heart rates in those ranges are not good and you want to know why they are that low. Normal ranges are from 60-100 beats per minute although they can drop lower during sleep. They should never be in the 30s range; the heart could actually stop beating if they are that low during WAKING hours. You want to know exactly what the plan of attack is going to be. Keep us posted on how things are going for you. A lot of us have been where you are at and we can offer a lot of support. Take care
One other thing....ask if your son is blacking out from blood pressure problems or from arrhythmia problems. The pre-syncope and syncope sound like bp problems but when he was in 4th grade, I don't know if he stood up or was just sitting there; if he was just sitting there, it could have been an arrhythmia problem which could have cleared up on it's own and that would have explained the ER not finding anything wrong.