Pediatric Cardiology Community
34 month old with SVT as an infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

34 month old with SVT as an infant

My son was diagnosed with SVT when he was a week old.  He was put on Propanolol (sp?) and Digoxin until he was ~18 months, when he was slowly weaned from the meds.  There is a side effect listed for Digoxin of a decreased appetite, and I know that it was affecting my son.  He was born big and gained more than normal during the first week of life.  After starting the Digoxin though, his weight percentile slowly, but steadily, went down to 1%!  Although his cardiologist said she didn't think it was the case with my son.  He did not eat much (breastmilk or table food) and was extremely thin as a baby, and the doctors kept acting like I was doing something wrong, and it was my fault.  I'll add that my son's older sister is very healthy looking - I know how to feed a child!  

Anyway, he is now at a normal weight and a very healthy little boy until recently.  In the last two weeks, he's thrown up six times.  He's not sick.  He acts completely normal before and after the vomiting.  Then my MIL felt his heart one day when she was watching him, and she said it was super fast.  So now he's on a 30 day heart monitor.  He's throwing up every few days for no apparent reason.  I know that the SVT can make one feel nauseous, but I haven't been able to feel/hear any SVT episodes since the one my MIL felt.

If he does have to go back on meds, is there a different one we can use (instead of Digoxin)?  It would break my heart to see him get so unhealthy looking again.  Also, has anyone had experience with the vomiting?  Could it be something completely different?  

I'm worried and confused...
Hello and welcome to our site. There are many different drugs on the market today which may be more helpful, but your pediatric cardiologist should be the one to help you make that kind of a decision. Digitalis drugs can make you throw up (been there, done that myself) Is there a 'timing' to his vomiting? If he eats, does he seem to throw up every time, say, a half hour after he eats? Do you see  pattern in when this happens?