Pediatric Cardiology Community
6yr old loses consciousness for no reason

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Ok so this eems to be the question of the year......I have already done a bunch of research myself on the matter and know that it is apparently more common then I had originally thought but, my child had not been standing for any length of time in one place, she was not expreiencing any kind of stress or excitement, she was not running a fever, or having any kind of sympathetic stimulation of any kind. She had eaten well, and although she had been sent home from school for diarrhea that morning, had had plenty to drink, was eating and playing well, and had no episodes with diarrhea of any kind at home. This means that she had 8 hrs of healthy presence by the time the loss of consciousness happened. I now know that her rigidity during the episode is likely just tetany, which I was told was relatively normal in children because of the drop in oxygenation, but she was out for around a minute and when she came to she was very confused and extremely nauseted and hysterical. I took her to the ED after a couple phone calls, because I didnt want to overreact (which all of my nursing and doctor friends told me to take her) and they did a CT because she hit her head when she fell and an EKG. There are 2 things that are bothering me about that ED visit, one is that they decided not to do any blood work on her at all because they said they "didnt want to do anything invasive" because my daughter was freaking out just a little bit. So if there was a concern with low blood surgar or dehydration (which I thought could explain the finding in the EKG that I will explain later, with possible hypokalemia), there would be no way of knowing those results. The second is that the ED doctor came back after reading the EKG and just told me that it had some things on it that "made him raise his eyebrows." and that is all that I was told. Because it was the ED I now have to wait to get the results from all the readings and know that they have been sent to my childs pediatrician. I am hoping that I hear from the doctor soon because I can only assume at this time that my child is being referred to a pediatric cardiologist. Frankly I think that if she hasnt been automatically referred that I will probably try to get her to one anyway because I am a nursing student, I know I dont have all the knowledge that I need but I do know what heart sounds are supposed to sound like and I have thought that my daughters were a little strange for about a year now. I have also talked to several of my professors and they all say that I need to get to the bottom of this because it does not sound to them like it is just something normal. SOOOOO I am just asking another community out there what they think I should do. Should I hound the pediatrician about a referral? The ED said that they are running under the assumption that she had a mild concussion and was dehydrated and had a bout with low blood sugar and had me start her on a hypoglycemic diet and push fluids all the time, a timing protocol, until further notice. I am doing all of that and I assume that she did have a mild concussion because daily she still tells me that she is having a "fuzzy head" which I know can happen with that for up to 4 days. That said we are now 5 days post incident and she just complained about it again. How aggressive does anyone out there think that I should be at this point. And thank you for your time.
Hello and welcome to our site. Reading through your post, there are a few things that come to mind. I'm not that sure that the ED doctor was that concerned about what happened with your daughter, sad to say. It doesn't matter how upset a child is, if there is a problem, blood gets drawn, it's that simple. A doctor can hardly diagnose anything without blood work and you are left treating her for something she may not even have. Hyperkalemia is an elevation of potassium in the bloodstream, which is usually a problem with the kidneys. It can cause EKG changes as well such as elevated T-Waves and depressed P- Waves. Did they do a urine test on your daughter? Without the blood work, how do they know for certain she had hyperkalemia? Another thing that hit me odd was if they were really concerned about the EKG, they would have had your daughter seen by a pediatric cardiologist before she left the ED. Treating her for hypoglycemia is fine, even if she doesn't have it, it isn't going to hurt other than giving her a diagnosis of something she may or may not have. Keeping her hydrated is important, but most people do not know that it is the combination of fluid intake and protein intake that keeps a patient hydrated. You can drink all you want and still be dehydrated if you are not eating plenty of protein as well as it is the protein that helps to keep the hydration in check. I would call your pediatrician's office and find out about seeing the pediatric cardiologist, if you haven't already done so and if you have been seen, please come back and let us know how things are going for you and your daughter. Take care  
Well, I finally heard from the pediatrician today, ironically, and I don't have an appointment for my daughter until next week. They told me that they weren't concerned and didn't contact me because the report that they received from the hospital did not say anything about needing to see a cardiologist. I am definitely taking her to the appointment next week because I really feel the need to get to the bottom of this. Can I ask to be referred even if they don't think that it is necessary? Unfortunately I feel that the doctor in the ED didn't really care as well. He spoke to me as if I was overreacting until he read her EKG. I would assume that they did not refer her immediately to a cardiologist because we do not have anything like that available in this town. It is small and there really is noone. We have to go an hour away for doctor's that specialize typically. Anyway, No they did not do a urine test on her either. Like I said I was confused and frustrated with the visit. My daughter has never had anything except cold, ear infections, and strep in her short life so it is not like I am a frequent flyer with her in the hospital or anything. My concerns now are that noone is going to take this thing seriously. My daughter's doctors office knows that I am a nursing student and is now talking to me as if I am someone that is being concerned of something because it is something that we covered in school or something. That is definitely not the case. She has not had any further bouts with unconsciousness, but she is still complaining of having a fuzzy head sometimes and she seems to be having headaches often. That and it seems like ever since the incident she tells me almost every day that she just doesn't feel well. Which is strange for a 6 yr old. She told me this weekend that sometimes her heart feels funny like it is "going to jump out of her chest and run away" and she told me yesterday that her fingers "have hearts in them." I asked her further about it because I felt like that was kind of random for her and she said that it does not just happen when she is running and playing but that it happens when she is sitting doing homework at school or when she is at " activity center" which is like a crafting center in her classroom. I think that I am just going to push for the pediatric cardiologist. I would rather be wrong and get to the bottom of it then let something go and regret it. Like I said with everyone that I am around on a daily basis in the medical field, none of them seem to think that this is something normal or that should just be blown off, but I am concerned that I am being an overreactive parent. I just wanted to give you the latest and thank you for your input. It is nice to have someone out there that is listening because part of me does not think that there is much of that going on here. This is so nerve racking....UGH!!!! But thank you sooooooo much again!
Hello again, It sounds like you should ask to see a pediatric cardiologist. Children who mention their hearts beating too fast may have arrhythmia problems such as Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. If the heart rate goes too high, a child can pass out, they can feel dizzy or lightheaded as well. It is ALWAYS best to check things out so doing this for your daughter would certainly be an acceptable request; even if her pediatrician doesn't agree. An hour drive to see a specialist, really isn't that far and would be well worth the trip. Get a copy of her EKG and any records you can to take with you. They are LEGALLY yours to have. Some of the descriptions your daughter is describing, don't really make sense to me, about her fingers, so I'm not sure what to make of that. Get her checked out. Come back and let us know how she and you are both doing; this can be very frustrating, especially the waiting. Take care