Pediatric Cardiology Community
8 year old with heart issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

8 year old with heart issue

My granddaughter is 8 and has experienced 3 episodes of a hard pounding heart that becomes very rapid...over 60 bpm.  Her heart is pounding so hard, you can see and feel her skin moving.  She is not doing anything at the time, so it is a resting rate.  She's been taken into the emergency room and all her labs are fine, etc.  What could this be?
Maybe you should take her to a pediatric doctor. That shouldn't be happening
Children ofen times complain about chest pain and pounding heart beats. My own 4 year year old grandson would come and say his heart was beating so fast that it was going to fall out of his chest. We have a family history of SVT, myself and his mother along with my other daughter who had such severe heart disease, she had to have a heart transplant. I told my daughter to take my grandson to see a pediatric cardiologist. I don't know if she ever did. Three days before Christmas he turned 14 and is now taller than his father who is 6 foot. He loves, and plays basketball and I worry about his heart....alot! Your daughter should be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist to make sure there are no structual issues with her heart; electrical issues can be harder to diagnose. A normal heart rate is between 60-100 for an 8 year old, so she has a normal heart rate. If her rates were in the 40's range, or 30's range while she is AWAKE, that's a problem.