Pediatric Cardiology Community
ASD and HEADACHES

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

ASD and HEADACHES

I guess I learn something new every day.. my now 10 year old has been complaining of chest pain since summer on and off.. he color is very good... and oh a headache to go along with it one day he was doubled over in pain on his left side of his chest.. knowing it wasn't a heart attack or most likely anything serious, however I couldn't stand him in pain thinking it maybe just gas or a pulled muscle, so I called his pcp whotold me to take him in... the EKG showed an "abnormal" thing in people, well that is if you aren't an athlete, and Gary is so much into sprots that they considered this normal, but referred him to a peds cardiologist.. hm Gary has a small PFO (hole in the upper part of his heart) no concerns for me as he has and still isn't symptomatic so we thougt....(we have been there before with holes in the heart, I have one and still do) any way his headaches always seem to be around sports, just after heavy activites... so the sent us back to his cardiologist (which I knew it wasn't related as once again he wasn't having chest pain  no color change or desaturation) I am thinking neuro (I have a rare disorder that I am followed by a neurologist)  so here we are wasting our time as well as the cardiologists time so I thought...
she said we can't rule his heart out on this... WHAT??? I guess studies have been known to show that some people with holes in their hear get really good headaches as the way Gary was describing them (now he had these headaches PRIOR to knowing he had a hole) she said once the hole is closed the headaches are gone,  it can also go the other way people develope headaches after the hole is closed,  she did say she would send a note to his seurologist first to see if he would order a MRI to rule it out as it being a neurological issue and then we would go from there.. hm I guess I learned something new every day....
Mommabear GGRRRR
As you said, Michelle, you just keep on learning something new every day!