Abnormal ECG
Hello.  My son will be 5 in a couple weeks.  I remember that the docs have always told me he had a functional murmur, but to keep an eye on it.  Last check-up my doc said he has a grade 3/6 over the 2nd intercoastal on rt. side.  My son has complained two times over the last few months that he was short of breath.  My doctor referred me to a pediatric cardiologist and told me to restrict his activity.  We couldn't get in with the pc for a month and a 1/2, so he ordered an echo and ecg.  We had those done today.  The ECG tech left the room and I looked at his ECG and it said abnormal ecg with sinus arythmia and probable rvh.  If I remember correctly, his rate was 64-90 with a v rate variation greater than 10%.  I managed to write down upright t in v1 or v2.  I realize you're not my doctor, we will see one shortly and hear the test results soon.  As you can imagine, I am mortified with the thought of my healthy, active child suddenly being plagued with a heart problem.  Is it possible this could be benign?  Thank you very much for your time.
Cancel
8 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your son may have a problem. RVH usually stands for Right Ventricular Hypertrophy which means the walls are too thick. See the pediatric cardiologist.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
306245 tn?1244388567
I agree see a cardiologist. as far as his innocent murmur is concerned, it can change for a few reasons, one being sick and a other is if he was very active prior to his exam. I hope all is well with him.My son use to have a 6/6 murmur then had to have surgery (from birth we knew his murmur wasn't innocent) and after his surgery it was a 1/6 maybe a 2/6 and now it is up to a 3/6 and they say that he is still okay as far as the murmur.
I will pray that things are okay with him
good luck
michelle
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
306245 tn?1244388567
also his Hr seems to be within the normal limits for a person of his age.
michelle
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hello.  Thank you for your comments.  Fortunately, he has a completely healthy heart.  The tech messed up the ekg, the echo came back normal.  You would think she would have repeated it after getting such a reading!  Thanks again !
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I don't know what the tech could have done to screw things up, the machines do all of the the work these days. But I do agree, the tech should have run a second EKG if there was a question. When they did my daughter's first EKG they thought the machine was broke and went and got a second machine. Unfortunetly the readings were the same.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I'm so sorry about your daughter.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thank you.  At the moment she is doing fairly well with her transplanted heart. She's had 3 bouts of congestive heart failure with this transplanted heart so I am just keeping my fingers crossed nothing else happens to her!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I'm so happy she was able to get a transplanted heart!!   I pray her body becomes used to it and she becomes a healthy girl.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatric Cardiology Community Resources