Pediatric Cardiology Community
Aortic dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Aortic dilation

My kid was born in 2002 with a healthy wt of 8pounds.On 3rd day my ped. told us she listens to some murmur and refered to ped.cardiology.She told us my son has ASD and VSD holes and they might close down the road or not.We will wait and see.In the 5th month she told us one is closed.After that I went to india there they said he is doing fine.After that we didn't go to ped.cardiologist.We said that to our ped.She said it's a good news.After that in his 6th yr general well checkup the ped. told us again she heard a second click sound and asked us to go to previous cardiologist and check once and to close the file if everything is fine.This time cardiologist told us she wants yearly checkups because she see some little bit abnormal values for Z.This year we went to her for second time.Now she is telling us there is no change in Z value compared to last year(Z val. is slightly more than 2,we don't no exactly) and she is asking us to go to Genetist.We are very scared after this years visit.Don't no what to do.
Can u please let me know       1. what is the normal value of Z for normal kid.
2.My kid height is 129cm. and wt.is 26kgs and healthy except some strep throats.What should be the Z value for him for his ht. and wt.
3.Will there be change in the Z value ?If it is how much it will be yearly.Is there need for yearly checkups.
4.Down the road after how many years he will be in need of surgeries or any emergency situations.

Can we go for any second advise.Please help me.

I dont know if you still check this b/c it's been so long, but my son also has aortic dilatation, although his has finally stabilized over the last year.  This website might be of interest to you.
http://parameterz.blogspot.com/2008/09/cardiac-valve-z-scores.html

I would see the genetist and also get a second cardiac opinion, just to confirm what the first doc says. Hearts are nothing to mess around with.  Also request a copy of your sons tests results and it will give you all the information you are looking for with the normal values next to his tests scores (just call medical records).  It's great you have a cardiologist who is being thorough..