Pediatric Cardiology Community
•Atrial Septal Defect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

•Atrial Septal Defect

Hello-
My 13 yr old daughter had an ekg because she keeps having episodes of shortness of breath and she says it feels like her heart is squeezing. The ekg came back abnormal and says that her right ventricle and left atrium were enlarged. She has an appointment to see a pediatric cardiologist at Maine Medical center next month. My question is...since she is 13, could her pediatric doctor missed her having an Atrial Septal Defect all these years? She has never had a murmer, she has always been healthy and an athlete until her breathing problems started last summer. Even a short run makes her struggle for air.  Thank you- Manuela
First of all Welcome to the forum

I hope your daughter will be okay.. I am not sure about hte enlargement but I just want to let you know that when I went for surgery on my foot, the surgeon wanted me to have an echo as I have complained of being short of breath.. there on my echo showed a PFO (hole in the upper part of my heart)  that was back in 2006 and I was 36 years old at that time and that was my first time ever having an echo.. I don't remember them ever mentioning a murmur in me and I can't get the answers from my mom   so it sounds like it could be that they truly didn't know...
Good luck to you and your daughter
Hello and welcome to our forum. Yes it is very possible for your daughter's pediatrician to have missed an ASD. The question is why do you think this is your daughter's problem. Usually if a child has an ASD or a VSD they would have a murmur and you say your daughter has no murmur. Because of that, I do not quite understand your question. Did the diagnosis of an enlargement come from reading the EKG alone or was there an Echo done by a qualified pediatric technician and that was where this diagnosis came from. What tests has your daughter had to this point. While the EKG can show signs of hypertrophy (enlarged areas of the heart) it is really only a 'stepping stone' to the Echo. It does however, pick up electrical problems with the heart. My own daughter had a severe hypertophy with her heart and her electrical impulses on the EKG literally shot off of the page. If your daughter is haveing hypertrophy issues with the heart she should not be involved in sports of any kind until she has seen the pediatric cardiologist and had a complete work-up. take care