Pediatric Cardiology Community
Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Dilated Aortic Root & PFO
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Dilated Aortic Root & PFO

My 13 year old son recently fractured his hip playing football.  During a CT scan ordered due to falling O2 sat it was discovered that he had an enlarged aorta.  An echocardiogram was ordered and we have been told that he has an ASD (or PFO), bicuspid aortic valve and a dilated aortic root.  I know none of these findings are of iminent concern, but my questions are:
1.  Are these findings/abnormalities related (Additionally, he was born with a cleft palate (diagnosed as Pierre-Robin))?
2.  Rank in order of severity and probable treatment plan.
3.  His mother was diagnosed with Tetraology of Fallot and had surgery at Johns-Hopkins in 1972 to repair her defects-are congenital heart problems hereditary?
Related Discussions
Has your son seen a pediatric cardiologist yet? An ASD is a hole in the septal wall in the atrium (the upper chamber of the heart) All babies are born with septal defects; they generally close by the age of 0ne to two years; some don't. The severity and the treatments plans have to come from the doctor because your son has to be seen and evaluated to see how much of a problem there is as well as if he is symptomatic. A doctor needs to do this and tell you whta treatments your son needs. Are congenital heart diseases hereditary? Some are; I don't know that your son's problem is however, it may just be a coincidence.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatric Cardiology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...