Chest Pain in a 15 year old athelete
Hi, I'm 15 and a competitive swimmer. I took a couple weeks off swimming, and then started up again. Recently during practices I feel pain in my chest. It doesn't go away when I stop swimming, either. When I move certain ways or sometimes when I breathe out, I feel it. I don't understand what's going on or if maybe I'm just out of shape. Can anyone give me some ideas?
What you are describing sounds like muscle, not heart related. Children your age aren't old enough to have heart disease that causes most types of chest pain. Those that do have heart disease that causes true chest pain (and that's extrememly rare) have structural problems with the heart walls, If you had that problem, you wouldn't be swimming, let alone competitive swimming. If you have taken a few weeks off from swimming, you may have pulled muscles in the chest wall and that's where the pain is coming from.