Pediatric Cardiology Community
Chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Chest pain

Our son is 8 years old and since he's 5 he's been having issues with his left side of the chest.  CHEO first said he has Costrochronditis.  About 8 months after more tests were done because of the pain and lack of exercise.  The specialist discovered that the left muscle of his heart is bigger then the right side.  And on one of his ribs there is an extra rib that grow.  The extra rib rubs on his left side of the chest and it hurts.  They said it wasn't necessary to remove the extra rib, it would be considered cosmetic.  
I'm just concerned because he is 8 now and I find the pain gets worst.  When he does exercises or gym at school he stops because of the pain.
Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Thank you, Nathalie

I haven't heard anything about this specifically, but since it is impacting on his life and activities, he really needs further investigations and hopefully a treatment regime to help him.

I think he definetly needs to be seen again by a doctor - and the doc needs to know its impacting him when he does gym to the point he needs to stop what he's doing. What kind of specialist saw him before, was it a peadiatric cardiologist?

Good luck, I can tell from your post you are worried, it must be hard as a Mom to see your child hurting. Sorry I can't help more, but I really think he needs to go back to the doctor and the doctor needs to know its getting worse, not better, and he can't do gym.

Regards,
Perch :-)
Hello and welcome to our site. I agree with perch that you son needs to be reevaluated, specifically by a good pediatric cardiologist and I would stongly advise you to pull him frrom gym activities until he has that evaluation in light of the fact you write that he has an enlargement of the heart. Are his heart walls too thin or too thick? The fact that he is complaining of chest pain is important because, even though heart related chest pain in children is very rare, it can be caused by an enlargd heart. Chest pain is directly related to a lack of blood flow to the heart muscle walls and that happens in enlarged hearts. Take him to see a good pediatric cardiologist.