Enlarged Right Atrium
My daughter is 12 years old and recently had an EKG for a sports physical. I was told she had a enlarged right atrium. But that she could go ahead and keep doing what she has been doing. She suffers from asthma and has since she was about 7 years old. She has been hospitalized 4 times for pneumonia type symptoms. Her chest x-rays were always clear but her oxygen levels were extremely low. My questions is could this all be related? And should I be concerned?
Hello and welcome to the site. Has your daughter had an echo to check the sizes of the atrium chambers and wall thicknessess of her heart walls? Has she seen a pediatric cardiologist yet? What have they given for the reason of the enlargement? If she has not been evaluated by a specialist, I would not let her participate in sports before getting that evaluation done. The asthma would not be related to this problem. Usually issues with breathing resulting from the heart are ususally due to problems with the left ventricle, not the atrium. Get her properly evaluated first and foremost. Understand that the EKG may or may not be accurate so it is always more important to have the Echo done for a proper diagnosis. Take care and let us know how things are going. :)