Pediatric Cardiology Community
Enlarged left ventricle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Enlarged left ventricle

My son is almost 13 years old and very active.  He also has ADHD and takes Vyvanse.  He had an EKG and it appears initially that he has an enlarged left ventricle.  He had a echo yesterday.  We are concerned.  We took him off of his medicine.  In the last few days, he has been uncharateristically tired.  Today he took a 2 1/2 hour nap.  We are awaiting the results of the echo, shoudl we be concerned?  We are trying to adhere to the opinion of our of our pediatrician; however, we are really scared for our son.  Is this something to be concerned about?  My husband is really scared.  
Hello and welcome to the forum. The first thing that you want to do is to wait for the cho do be done and for the pediatric cardiologist to review those results. An enlarged left ventricle, which is the main pumping chamber of the heart, can be enlarged in two ways: Dilated (dilated cardiomyopathy also referred to as DCM) which is where the heart wall is too thin and Hypertrophic (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) which is where there is a heart wall that is too thick. In both forms, the heart cannot beat efficiently. This is a rare form of heart disease especially in children: this is a serious problem and you are wise to be concerned about your son's well being. If he is in sports, he should stop that activity until he has had a complete work-up. Keep us posted on how you are all doing and if I can help you in any other way, feel free to write to me.

Take care
Sorry about the mistakes in spelling....I'm in a bit of a fog this morning! LOLs! I was saying : "wait for the echo to be done". The abbreviation of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is HCM. The other thing I wanted to say and forgot to mention: if you are living near a large University Hospital, you may want to consider taking your son there for evaluation as they tend to see children with this problem and are probably better equiped to handling his care.