Pediatric Cardiology Community
Heart Mummer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Heart Mummer

My son 9 years old went in for a Physical. He was told that he may have a heart mummer and it may be innocent. So an EKG was run. And the resluts came back stating that my son have an enlarged heart valve. I have not seen the Cardiologist as of yet. My question is how can this develope my son does not complian about chest pains or shortness of breath he has been playing sport football and baseball for sometime. At present he can not play any sports unitl he sees the cardiologist. Is this condtion normal for kids and is it treatable.
Hate to say it, but something doesn't sound right here. Are you sure your son didn't have an echocardiogram instead of the EKG, that showed the valve problem? EKGs are a study of the electrical system of the heart not really the structual issues of the heart (although it will show enlarged walls which are forms of cardiomyopathies) The valves would be seen on echos. You son would not be having chest pains as chest pains relating to the heart are caused by a lack of blood flow to the heart muscle. We as adults think that heart related problems are chest pain and SOB; children and teens don't have chest pains related to heart disease unless they have one of the cardiomyopathies where the blood supply to the heart muscle has been outstripped. I am wondering if there is something else going on with your son that you have yet to learn about. Valve problems are not usually high on the list for restricting the activities of a 9 year old. Most children who have heart disease are not restricted in their activities because the cardiologists understand that it's important for children to play and be active, not only for the physical, but for the mental issues. If you are understanding the doctor correctly, this condition would not be normal for children; that's one of the reasons he has been restricted and being sent to see (hopefully) a PEDIATRIC cardiologist. The treament for it would have to be told to you from the PC, no one on here will be ablre to tell you that, we don't know what the cause is nor do we know the extent of the problem. A functional heart murmur is common in children and really isn't an issue; all babies are actually born with a functional heart murmur.