Pediatric Cardiology Community
Heart enlargement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Heart enlargement

My child is 5 year old. She went thru open heart surgery when she was 5 months old. The surgery went well and doctors said that she is as normal as other babies afterwards. She was normal for 5 years. Her heart was of normal size.

Recently, due to cough and cold we went to the doctor and he suggested to do X-ray. The x-ray result suggests to have her heart enlarged. I am really very worried. Dr. at GP suggested to see cardiologist in the hospital which could take around 2 months to get appointment. It is making me very tensed.

I would like to know if heart enlargement is very dangerous? What could be the reasons behind? How long it will take to come to normal size? Will it be treated through medication? Could there be connection with her previous operation? She looks quite normal except that she coughs sometimes in the night. What are dos and don'ts for child so that it does not harm her heart.

Look forward for respose.

worried mother

Hello, I'm Mathew's mom.  My son is 4 months old and we have been seeing a pediatric cardiologist since he was born.  An enlarged heart just means the heart is "working against resistance".  The last time we went to the cardiologist my son's condition was worse but his heart was not enlarged yet.  She said they hold off as long as possible to proceed with medical intervention and it was my understanding that she would wait until his heart was enlarged to go ahead.  I believe an enlarged heart is a sign of another underlying problem.  We have another little girl in the extended family who has kidney problems and her heart became enlarged from complications.  By no means am I suggesting your daughter has either one of these problems.  It's just two examples of different problems both causing an enlarged heart.  So I suspect your doctor's visit will focus more on what's causing the heart to become enlarged rather than the enlargement itself.
If you don't mind, what was the open heart surgery for?  Mathew's aortic valve is narrowed and I think I have a long road ahead of me!
Hi Sang,
My now 5 1/2 year old went through heart surgery when he was 3 months old. he was in the hospital this past Nov, well pretty much on and off all of Nov. he had a chest Xray to rule out pneumonia and other issues. one of the chest xrays said he had cardiomegaly. i FRAEAKED they gave me a print out called his cardiologist who was going to be seen him the following week for a regular check up. they did a routine echo, there is no enlargement. while i was ahppy to hear of this I asked why would one say one thing and now this is saying something different.
several reason a viral infection or bacteria infection like pneumonia can make your heart work harder causing this, another is when you have a child who is sick at this age sometimes they can't take a deep breathe like they should and when comparing the lungs to your heart it will read that your heart is enlarged. I can't remember how they compared your heart to your lungs for size but he thinks that my son didn't take a good enough breathe. plus being ill with that will can show.
just a quick google for cardiomegaly
Cardiomegaly is a condition wherein the heart enlarges in a cardiothoracic ratio of more than 0.50. It can be attributed to a lot of causes, but mostly it is because of low heart output, otherwise referred to as a cardiac failure. A cardiothoracic ratio is the way to measure the size of a person’s heart. In this case, cardiomegaly occurs if the heart is more than 50 percent bigger than the inner diameter of one’s rib cage.

Cardiomegaly is assumed to be the direct effect of the thickening of the heart muscles and that happens when the heart is given an increased workload. This increase workload on the other hand, may be due to other health conditions present in the body. Viral illnesses and previous heart attacks can cause the heart to overwork. Drug abuse, inflammation of the heart, and uncontrolled hypertension are the known issues that may give rise to cardiomegaly  here is that website http://www.downloadheart.us/what-is-cardiomegaly.html

I assume your little one has ti due to the illness she just ahd. I hope that is all that it is. google cardiomegaly in pediatrics that might help
I hope this helps and hope it is nothing. good luck and keep us posted. if you are still nervous, like I was, all her pedicardiologist and see if she can't be placed on the cancellation list or maybe as her Primary doctor to redo another chest xray and compare there is nothing worse the waiting and not knowing
Michelle
You are very very welcomed. I hope all goes well with the echo tomorrow, I hope they can give you the results very soon so you don't have to worry. Please keep us updated and good luck.
Michelle
You can also post on the Doctors forum your question. I hope all goes well by the way what did she have done when she was a baby? Chris ahd a very large VSD patch closure, PFO (stitches) and he had a Patent Ductus arteriousus(something like that not sure of spelling) PDA it was ligated
good luck
Michelle