Pediatric Cardiology Community
Heart murmurs in infants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Heart murmurs in infants

I was informed by my 1 month olds doctor he has a slight heart murmer and to see the pediatric cardiologist.  He was born at 34 weeks, 5lbs 1oz, stayed in hospital 11 days and did well, no feeding tubes, eats well, breathing problems resolved 2 hours after birth.  Could this be stress from early birth, why would this develop weeks after leaving hospital?
Interestingly enough, murmurs are the most common congenital defect in babies. Most of the time, they are benign. Follow up with the cardiologist is a great idea, but try not to stress out too much as it will likely be something that is benign as well.

None of my boys were early and they all had some sort of cardiac defect and murmurs as well. It is all a game of odds.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the information.  We are not as worried as we were the other night.  We will let you know after our appt. next week what we find out.
Cngrats on yuor little one. my son who was not a premee was born with a murmur. MOST murmurs are very innocent, however not all. they usually go by a grading system. Chris' was a 6/6 the loudest you can go. I could put my esr on his chest and hear it. (it was actually quite neat) it sounded like an ultrasound like the swish swish when you hear the ultraound. Chris had open heart surgery when he was 3 months and is now 4 1/2 years old. he still has a 1/6-2/6 murmur but is an innocent murmur now.
just a word of caution. fevers and running can cause the murmur to be louder so let say your ittle one has a grade 1/6 murmur and he gets sick and your doctor says he can hear a grade 2/6 murmur please don't worry like I freaked. no one told me fevers can cause the murmur to be louder.
your baby's murmur didn't develop weeks after birth it was there. most murmurs go undected for the first couple-few months after birth. this is what our cardiologist said. the only reason why they detected Chris' right after birth was because it was so loud.
good luck and give the little man a big hug
michelle