Pediatric Cardiology Community
Hole in Heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Hole in Heart

My daughter is one year old. Her birth weight was 1.75 kgs and now her weight is only 6.5 kgs.  she has a hole of 2 mm in her heart. i consult with cardiologist and she says that her hole would be cover with in 2-3 years. I just wants to know should i wait for this much time and because of heart problem she is underweight. please help.
Hello and welcome to our site. :)
A 2 mm hole in a child's heart is a small hole and will probably close on it's own without any trouble. You are far better off to wait and let it heal rather than put yur baby through a very serious, not without it's risks, open heart surgery. ALL babies are born with a hole in the heart, like your daughter, try and keep that in your mind, this is a normal formation of the heart which allowed blood to pass between a mother and her baby before the baby was born. The problem with your daughter's weight gain can be caused by so many different things, it is highly unlikely it is due to a 2 mm hole. Most babies and children who have a problem with weight gain combined with a heart issues usually have a severe problem with their hearts. Even with my own daughter, she lost 7 oz right after birth and after a month had not gained any of those 7 oz back. Even though she was 8lbs, 9oz baby she had to be put on a formula that is reserved for premature babies. At one year she had only doubled her weight, instead of tripling her weight which is suppose to be what happens. And at three, she was still wearing the clothes of a 18month old to two year old. This is more of an example of what one would expect to see. Your baby"s toddler years go by so quickly, let her enjoy herself as you watch her grow; she will reintroduce you to the world around you once again. Enjoy! Take care
I am assuming that the hole you are describing is between the two lower chambers of the heart (ventricular septal defect) rather than between the two upper chambers of the heart.  The condition described by grendslori, that is, a hole "all babies are born with" does not sound like the issue here.

If the cardiologist is telling you the hole is small and should close, then it would be extremely unlikely that this hole would be responsible for poor weight gain.  How much the hole is participating in the weight issue should be easily determined with an echocardiogram.  A very small hole, not causing any significant heart enlargement should not affect how the heart functions and therefore not related to issues of weight gain.
Dear Dr. Steeg & Grendslori,

Thanks for your comments. But now on 20.11.2012 's echo report, Cardiologist  told me that the hole is remain same after 1year & 2 months. And she refer for the PDA closure device. Should i go with this surgery and how it will be effected.

Please advice me.  

regards
Balvinder
My daughter has similar problem doctor has diagnosed with 2 mm hole in the heart according to doctor it is between the aorta and pulmonary vain  - please advise