My son is 15 years old. He was born with l transposition. At birth he had a small vsd and very mild pulomonary stenosis. During the past 15 years, he has had no significant problems and the echo's have been good. About 6 months ago, he developed fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, and fainted a couple times. His recent echo showed the following
moderately to severe right ventricle dysfunction
moderate to sever right ventricular hypertropy
moderate dilated left sided right ventricle
mild mitral valve regurgitation
moderate tricuspid regurgitation
moderately dilated main pulmonary artery
moderately dilated left and right pulmonary artery
at least moderately dilated left atrium
patent foramen oval septal defect
left to right shunting
His stress test had a VO2max of 31 65% predicted
His 24 hour monitor revealed frequent supraventricular beats with rare atrial couplets. Recently he has developed a significant number of bigemy with a resting heart rate of 100.
He was started on digoxin 250 once a day, enalapril 10 twice a day and a baby asprin, My question is would he still be a candidate for the double switch procedure. If not what are the treatment options for him and the prognosis, I am confused because at a recent admission for his arrhythmia I was given so may different and conflicting
treatment options that I am totally confused. Should any other testing be done. What is the prognosis
I'm sorry to say this, but no one on here will be able to give you any kind of prognosis. What I can say is that, if the prognosis is bad, the doctors will tell you that straight away. What kind of a prognosis have they given you? One in every one huindred children are born with some type of heart defect; 95% of those children can be helped either through surgery or through medications. The remaining 5% are basically dying from heart disease and need to be transplanted. That 95% is a pretty good percentage. Have you been, perhaps, to a good University Hospital which has a good cardiology center for children attached to it? If not, that might be something you may want to consider. While your son has several issues going on there is one good thing, even in the bad: he is having problems with the right ventricle and not really with the left. The left ventricle is the main pumping chamber of the heart. The best thing for you to do is to make an appointment for just yourself with your son's doctor and have him explain to you all of these things. Make a list of your questions and bring a parent or friend with you into that appointment. Parents can become so overwhelmed hearing everything, but a friend especially, can listen and hear what is being said and remember it. Take care
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.