Pediatric Cardiology Community
IS DOUBLE SWITCH AN OPTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

IS DOUBLE SWITCH AN OPTION

My son is 15 years old.  He was born with l transposition.  At birth he had a small vsd and very mild pulomonary stenosis. During the past 15 years, he has had no significant problems and the echo's have been good.  About 6 months ago, he developed fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, and fainted a couple times.  His recent echo showed the following

moderately to severe right ventricle dysfunction
moderate to sever right ventricular hypertropy
moderate dilated left sided  right ventricle
mild mitral valve regurgitation
moderate tricuspid regurgitation
moderately dilated main pulmonary artery
moderately dilated left and right pulmonary artery
at least moderately dilated left atrium
patent foramen oval septal defect
left to right shunting

His stress test had a VO2max of 31 65% predicted
His 24 hour monitor revealed frequent supraventricular beats with rare atrial couplets.  Recently he has developed a significant number of bigemy with a resting heart rate of 100.

He was started on digoxin 250 once a day, enalapril 10 twice a day and a baby asprin,  My question is would he still be a candidate for the double switch procedure.  If not what are the treatment options for him and the prognosis,  I am confused because at a recent admission for his arrhythmia I was given so may  different and conflicting
treatment options that I am totally confused.  Should any other testing be done.  What is the prognosis

Thank you
I'm sorry to say this, but no one on here will be able to give you any kind of prognosis. What I can say is that, if the prognosis is bad, the doctors will tell you that straight away. What kind of a prognosis have they given you?  One in every one huindred children are born with some type of heart defect; 95% of those children can be helped either through  surgery or through medications. The remaining 5% are basically dying from heart disease and need to be transplanted. That 95% is a pretty good percentage. Have you been, perhaps, to a good University Hospital which has a good cardiology center for children attached to it? If not, that might be something you may want to consider. While your son has several issues going on there is one good thing, even in the bad: he is having problems with the right ventricle and not really with the left. The left ventricle is the main pumping chamber of the heart. The best thing for you to do is to make an appointment for just yourself with your son's doctor and have him explain to you all of these things. Make a list of your questions and bring a parent or friend with you into that appointment. Parents can become so overwhelmed hearing everything, but a friend especially, can listen and hear what is being said and remember it. Take care