Pediatric Cardiology Community
If you were to ask your Pediatric Cardiologist just one question...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

what would it be?
11 year old with chest pain and difficulty breathing?
since my 5 years old heart rate likeS to drop from over 100 to 44 while he is running around and passed out once and comes close other times (his HR use to go to the high 50's then mid 50's low 50's high 40's mid 40's and now low 40's) and his Sats are in the mid 80's and this last for a few minutes. we have tried a holter but since this doesn't happen all of the time and he can't keep up with is brothers or friends, can only ice skate for 5 minutes andhas to stop, since you have this (question) IF YOU WERE TO PUT IN A PACE MAKER TO KEEP HIS HEART FROM GING THAT LOW, WOULD HE HAVE MORE ENERGY TO PLAY LIKE A NORMAL 5 YEAR OLD SHOULD? thank you
michelle
Hi Missy, I wrote to you about your son on the heart disease forum.
The question is: Why aren't they putting a pacemaker in??? I don't know how you know what the heart rates actually are when he's trying to run around? Are you taking his pulse AFTER he's stopped running around or are you taking that info off of the Holter? Same with the SATs? If you are usuing a home monitor, most of them aren't worth the plastic they are made of. I will wait for your reply.
There are number of ways we take his pulse. his VNA nurse has listen to it on his chest, I have a Sat machine, I have taken it on his wrist. I know that when he is cyanotic that means he is low ans I go by symptoms when using the machine. if he pink and the machine says he is 70 for a sat then i know they are wrong. I don't really use the holter only 2 times in a year has it been done. his doctor said that they aren't going to put in a pacemaker quit yet they want his to have a low HR and pass out or come close to passing out 3-4 more times before they will consider it.  when he is running around the house, or where ever he will complain that his heart feels slow and he is tired. the last time this happened was something like feb. 10 and he was outside with 2 of his older brothers playing"tag" with the dog. they were throwing snowballs to the dog and whose ever the snowball the dog caught was "tagged" and they had to help the dog. I was there and Chris looked grey and he said he was tired and so was his heart and his heart wants to go to sleep. now I think he was just tired and wanted to go to sleep. he has at times complained the his heart hurts him and he is grabbing at his chest and all his cardiologist says is it is gas. Chris has already had open heart surgery when he was 3 months old. after this last incident rushing him to the ER showed nothing, he had responded after 3-4 minutes and then it took 5 days for me to get the holter monitor in the mail and place it on his chest. he can't run with it it is too bulky for him. Chris is a peanut for his age.
I just want answers and want him to be alive. I want to basically know that if they can put in a pacemaker so his HR doesn't go below lets say 60-65 would he get as tired as he does while being active.
Oh I should also mention that one time we were running around the doctor's office (cardiologist) with the nurse and I brought my Sat machine and they had theirs, they got a HR of 51 and a sat of 88 using both machines. he came down maybe 15 stairs and stopped. the nurse says her machine is broken and this is what was told to the cardiologist.
One last thing, we take his HR and Sats just after he complains.
michelle