Pediatric Cardiology Community
Irregular Heart Rate 5 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Irregular Heart Rate 5 year old

I am a nurse so occasionally I will feel my sons pulse listen to his lungs; just do a mini assessment on him to make sure he seems OK.  (I'm not crazy, just hard to turn my nurse brain off when it comes to my family.) I noticed that his pulse seems a little irregular as in maybe a PAC or PVC.  He was also sleeping at this time and I don't know if maybe his heart was just speeding up and slowing down in response to his sleep cycle or what.  He had an ECHO as a newborn because his Pediatrician suspected a heart murmur.  His ECHO was negative and I would assume he would not have developed a heart defect within the last 5 years.  Is it normal and benign for children or anyone for that matter to just have a little irregularity? (I'm not a cardiac or pediatric nurse so.....) Thanks
Having worked as an EKG Supervisor, I can tell you it is normal for all people to have PACs/PVCs, the  premature beats are the backup system for the normal SA and AV Nodes. Some people, and probably especially children, can have a Sinus Arrhythmia which is where breathing in, causes the heart to speed up and the breathing out, causes the heart rate to slow down. Everyone's heart does this, the degree may be different. All babies are born with murmurs and those murmurs (called Functional murmurs) tend to disappear by the time the baby has his first birthday. Different types of murmurs tell the doctor what the problem if there is a problem with the heart structure itself. I know how hard it makes things when you work in the medical field to 'shut yourself off'  ( I go through all of that myself) but you really need to be cause you can make your child start to believe something is wrong with his heart. Then you can end up with a child who questions EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING that could POSSIBALY be wrong as well as go wrong. Believe me, you don't what him to live that kind of a childhood. If his heart rate speeds up and slows down, I wouldn't worry about that, if his heatbeat stops and pauses and then 'kicks in' again, then I would talk to your pediatrician.