Pediatric Cardiology Community
Irregular heartbeat in infant during sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

I have noticed that when my infant girl is asleep on my chest sometimes, her heart goes all wonky....beats really fast, skips beats, etc. I have only noticed this when she is asleep. She was born 5 weeks premature. Mid-muscular VSD was diagnosed in utero at 22 weeks, fetal echo showed very small hole, follow up check showed it had closed. Heart murmur was heard at her 2 month checkup. My GP laughed and said it was just a part of REM, but I'm still a bit uneasy, as I have read some studies which link irregular heartbeat to SIDS.

Baby is gaining well. Should I take her back in to the doctor, or wait until her 4 month check. Is there any chance this is NOT related to REM sleep, but rather her heart murmur? Any advice appreciated. THANKS!
Hello and welcome to our site. Your strongest ally in dealing with your children is your mother's instinct. If you feel something may be amiss, then by all means, take your baby back to your pediatrician. Having said all of that......the fact that your daughter's VSD has completely healed is the norm for all babies, as all babies are born with holes in the heart which generally close by the time the baby turns one year of age. Irregular heart beating is common during sleep because of the dreams a person may be having. If he is having a nightmare, his heart rate would certainly be much faster. Breathing also affects the heart rhythm which would also be normal; it is known as a "Sinus Arrhythmia". As far as the heart murmur is concerned, murmurs are only a sound made by the turbulance of blood flowing throught the heart and across the valves. Many things can cause a murmur including a child having a fever. The TYPE of murmur is what tells a doctor if there is actually a specific form of heart disease or if there is a structural problem with the heart. Most murmurs are called "Functional Murmurs" which have no significance at all.  Take care