Aa
A
A
Close
Is a dilated aorta found in utero a manifestation of Marfans Syndrome?
I am 36 years old and 27 weeks pregnant. My baby was diagnosed with a dilated ascending aorta at 22 weeks gestation. Only the ascending aorta is dilated, the valves, root and walls of the aorta are normal. So is the blood flow. The z score was 2.3 at 22 weeks. (5.3mm).  The widest point of the aorta had grown from 5.3mm to 6.2mm in 5 days.   My partner and I have no sign or immediate history of a connective tissue disorder or BAV. The baby does not have a bicuspid vavle either.  Has anyone evercome across anything like this? My cardiologist said this is very rare to see in utero.  I have another scan next week to see how much it has grown.  My first baby has Down Syndrome and a hole in her heart, I have been told that this is no way connected and is most likey a connective tissue disorder of some kind.  we are having a test done on the baby for Marfans Syndrome but this will take a month for the results and could be inconclusive.  Could this be anything BUT a connective tissue disorder? I am so worried and would appreciate any information or knowledge anyone has. Thank you

Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hello and welcome to our site. I'm sorry I cannot answer your question directly, except to say that test results can be very misleading because of the expertise of the tech running the tests. Fluid can alter a lot of things and with this baby still in utero, could that be a possibility for the rapid growth? I would certainly be asking the doctor if that could be a factor. Your baby with Downs, having a hole in the heart really does not have anything to do with this present baby's issue. All babies are born with a hole in the heart and have a Functional heart murmur as a result. Usually the hole closes within the first year; for some it closes later and still, for some, it never does. Let us know how things are going for you. Take care  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatric Cardiology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank