Pediatric Cardiology Community
Is it safe to come off the medication? Does Breastfeeding help keep SVT...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Is it safe to come off the medication? Does Breastfeeding help keep SVT away?

My 5.5 month old son has SVT-WPW.  He was diagnosed at 4 days old when we found him to be in an episode of SVT by chance (we were at our ped. appointment after leaving the hospital).  He was diagnosed a couple days after his first episode of SVT with SVT-WPW.  They put him on Propanelol, but he broke through at 10 days old.  We were back in the hospital for them to monitor him being put on Sotalol (a Beta Blocker that should be monitored when first being given, to make sure it is well tolerated).  He is 5.5 months now, and has not had an episode of SVT since.  The doctors are planning on possible taking hime off Sotalol when he reaches 1 year old, to see how he is off the meds.  I am really nervous and worried about them taking him off the medication, because he is so young and can't tell me when he is in SVT.  Right now we have our own Stethscope and check his heart rate 4 or 5 times a day (and more often if he has a weird behaviour change).  I was wondering if it can do him any hrm by taking him off the meds at 1 year old??  I also have a second question...  He is a strickly breaastfed baby at the moment, and I was wondering if you think that because I breasfeed him, it helps keep him out of SVT??  If so, when I stop breastfeeding do you think he'll have more attacks??

It really breaks my heart to know that my little baby has to "live" with this condition.  I know that it can be ablated, but in our area, it is only done once the child reaches a certain weight (around 10 years old), if the SVT is an issue in their life.  Please tell me I'm not the only one that hurts sooo much inside for their little one?!?
You are not the only mother to hurt inside for your baby. Breastfeeding has nothing to do with your son's SVT. WPW is an electrical tract in the heart that doesn't belong there. The electrical impulses will sometimes "jump over" to that tract when it shouldn't and that starts the SVT. Some children can have SVT and it really isn't that much of an issue for them, others have problems dealing with the heart beating fast. My daughter had WPW for which she had an open heart surgery for to ablate the tracts when she was 7. The SVT NEVER bothered her at all; we had to do the surgery because the muscles of her heart were seriously diseased and an attack of SVT would have killed her. We did it as a preventative measure. When your baby turns one, if they decide to take him off the medicines, they will monitor him closely and probably put on a Holter Monitor to see if he is having any problems. Take care.