Pediatric Cardiology Community
Is pregnancy safe after open heart surgery?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is pregnancy safe after open heart surgery?

I have posted my question elsewhere, and was directed here, so hopefully someone can help. I was in an ATV accident in 2005, I was 21. I suffered many injuries one of which was a torn aorta. In one place it was completly torn in half and another spot there was a small tear. The surgeons replaced about 3 1/2" of my aorta. It has now been 6 years, and I am ready to have a child. I have seen several cardiologists over the last 6 years. Some have said that it is safe to have a child, but that I would have to be monitored very closely, the others said flat out that it would kill me. I desperatly want a child, but due to recent events I am unable to do either foster care or adoption, because I was recently diagnosed with bipoar 1. I could use any help or advise anyone can give me on this issue. Thank you.