Pediatric Cardiology Community
Is this a death sentence for this little girl
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is this a death sentence for this little girl

I got this info on a little girl we were considering for adoption:
Pressures:
Right Ventricle: 86/6(38)
Left Ventricle: 84/5(42)
Aorta:82/751(67)
Distal left pulmonary artery: 61/24(42)
Pulmonary artery: 82/32(52)
21 mm Hg pressure difference can be detected between distal left pulmonary artery and pulmonary artery during continuous pressure monitoring
O2 Sat 66% - 85%
Findings:
The location of heart is normal. Right ventricle is significant enlarged. After right ventricle photographic developing, pulmonary artery, left and right pulmonary arteries are phtotographic developed thereafter, pulmonary artery, left right pulmonary arteries are all expanded, a localized stenosis is noted just above the valve of pulmonary artery(change of post pulmonary artery banding is considered). Only a group of big atrioventricular valve is noted, there is moderate to large scale of contrast media regurgitation in atrioventricular valve.
Left ventricle angiography revealed ascending aorta is much thin than pulmonary artery, the later comes mostly from left ventricle, but with 30% saddling. No obvious ventricle spectrum is noticed, left ventricle is small, no mitral valve is seen, there is a great muscle in the outlet of left ventricle.
There is a slight stenosis in upper part of descending aorta, and also a expanding after stenosis.
Recirculation revealed contrast media entered right atrium, but poor atrium spectrum visualized.
Diagnosis:
1.Congenital heart disease
2.Functional mono-ventricle
3. Post pulmonary artery banding(still pulmonary artery hypertension)
4. Atrial septal defect(huge)
Vventricular septal defect(huge).
Moderate-Severe regurgitation in atrioventricular valve
5.Slight stenosis of aorta

I am told that this little girl has a very poor prognosis and nothing can be done. That she isn't a candidate for the Bioventricular Repair or the Right Dominant Complete Atrioventricular Canal Defect - Unbalanced due to her huge VSD. And that she isn't a candidate for the Fontan procedure because of her high pulmonary artery pressure. The person I spoke with paused here and said, "She isn't a candidate for any procedure with the high pulmonary artery pressure and will end up needing a heart and lung transplant which is a death sentence in and of itself.

Anyone think any differently than that?

Thanks in advance,

Bobbie*