Pediatric Cardiology Community
Is this right?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Is this right?

My son was born with a heart defect but the doctor didn't find it until he was 5 weeks old. We were sent to a bigger hospital for tests who then sent us to an even bigger, children's hospital for more testing and surgery. When we arrived at the hospital they did their own tests and decided on the surgery but decided to send him home on meds and schedule the surgery for another time. They jerked us around for a while until his pediatric cardiologist called them to get the surgery scheduled.
When we went in for the suregery we ran into a lot of problems. It's a long long story so I'll try to cut to the chase. During surgery the doctor came and told us his problem was worse than they thought. He was diagnosed with Atrio-ventricular septal Defect and during surgery they found he didn't even have any valves or walls in his heart at all. They said they could not do the surgery because he most likely wouldn't make it through and his heart had already stopped once and they had to restart it.
We still didn't get to see him for hours and they told us they preformed a completely different surgery. Without asking us about it first. That's the first thing that seems sooooo wrong. There's more.... When we recived the autopsy after his death at 11 weeks old, the autopsy showed that he had pnemonia (pneumonia). Every day they would do chest x-rays and echos to check for anything that might be wrong. THey were even done befor ehis surgery to make sure he was healthy for surgery. Is it possible that he could have developed pnemonia (pneumonia) during recovery? And if so isn't it wrong that he did? How could this have happened unless sick people were allowed in the room? No one in my family was sick. Also, is it so wrong that they did a completely different surgery after they told us they would not be doing surgery at all because it was too dangerous? I feel like this was soo wrong and someone needs to pay but is it just me because I had lost my son and feel like someone should be at fault or is it really that this was not right?
I ma so sorry for your loss. I can even to begin to imagine what you are going through.
Many people get sick after they have had surgery.
I am not sure if that would be a case or not, but it sounds like you should seek an attorney for the other issue you have had. I am not a professional, but I don't know with so many echo's how they not see his valves missing. I do know however with a hole in the heart it usually isn't diagnosed until month 4-5.
I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you can get answers soon
God bless you and your family
Michelle
I know exactly how you feel..I lost my daughter last year to a very rare congenital heart defect called interrupted aortic arch..We were given a 90% chance of survival for her..She had her surgery and the surgeon kept coming out with updates saying how well she was tolerating the surgery. They even finished 2 hours ahead of the plan. he said that she had a minor bleed during the surgery but it was well under control..Well, of course we started calling people and telling them the great news, come to find out that during this time they were trying to revive her. I guess it turned out to be a worse bleed than they thought and she did not make it.. it still hurts so bad and this was a year ago..I am sorry about your son., How long ago did it happen? I am here to talk if you ever need to..I definately know how it feels to question what they did and if it was right. I was also told by the nurse anesthsialogist (ON the way up to surgery) that they were going to use a recalled drug. I had no time to think about it or really even ok it..I try not to think about it because it will only make me angry, for the most part I have forgiven them and realized that they were trying to help and they did all they can..but it is still hard..feel free to email me. I am sorry about your loss...