Pediatric Cardiology Community
LQTS* already posted in cardiac diseases

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My six year old son suffered a bang to his temple last week and suffered a small seizure. He has never passed out before and I believe that he passed out this time as a direct result of being hit on the head whilst playing.

Non the less, this has been one of the worst weeks of my life!! Hooked up to an ECG machine that gave QT readings between 450-480 (last week) and 430 and 490 today.  

A very fit and active little boy he currently enjoys Football, Cricket, swimming and tennis. The idea that all this now could have to change and his life be dominated by this is overwhelming.  My gut instinct is that he will be fine (his Doctor is referring him to see a cardiologist but he is confident that the results are 'borderline?' and he should be OK.  I appreciate that the heart is going to produce variable results on charts but I suppose my initial question is that with LQTS would we be getting ANY readings of 430 or below 450?

I have come to understand that at the moment it is only prolonged QT but the percentages of children with prolonged QTc and no health issues seem a little short to be positive about (1-4%? - how lucky would we be not to have a problem?!)

He is physically smaller than my two other children - although he is the eldest of the three, at six he is wearing aged 4-5 trousers and he can fit in to is younger brothers clothes (size 6 month shorts etc)  He weighs 17kg 37.5lb and is approximately 110cm - 43.3 inches - 3ft 7 inches tall.

Although born at a good weight, for 18 months we had to see a dietrician as he was borderline failing to thrive.  He dropped off the centile charts having been born on the 75th centile!  Is weight stabalised around the 2nd centile and he remained a happy and contented baby.  They did check him for pretty much everything during this time including CF and I am now beginning to think that maybe they have missed something.

He is very active.  Even when we are sitting down relaxing he can't sit still - it's like a nervous energy, always swinging his arms around practising his bowling action!

My partner and I have both had ECG's in the past and nothing has come to light with regard to any problems.  He has never had a dizzy fit/passed out and has engaged in lots physical activity.

I'm worried now that no matter what the diagnosis, I will never be able to relax where he's concerned again.  

How do I handle the next few weeks with him?  We've been told to keep everything going as normal and I really want to do that for him (he is now beginning to pick up on our anxieties) but as a parent, how can I do that and relax?

(Thanks to those who have already replied in the other forum - it has been very reasurring to gain as much perspective as possible over what we might or might not be dealing with.)
(I am sorry that this is the first time I have seen this posting, I breed and show dogs and have been gone for the last 4 days for a big show).
To answer your question: My daughter developed Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis at the age of 3. At the age of 4-41/2 I remember telling my best friend (quote) : "If I didn't know any better I would swear my daughter has heart disease".  I never pursued the idea with her pediatrician figuring she was always sick and he would know if there was something wrong with her heart. When she was 6, she was admitted to the hospital for a drug overdose of asprin ( she couldn't break it down and ended up with internal bleeding). The nurses noticed her heart rates were running in the 40's range at night so they did an EKG; actually they did two, one right after the other because they thought the machine was broken. I arrived at the hospital to pick my daughter up and found her hookedup to an EKG machine. The nurses told me not to worry, that they were only running a routine EKG; they didn't know I had worked as an EKG supervisor and that I knew there was no such thing as a NORMAL EKG on a child. They were looking for something. The EKG they ran was circulated around to the different doctors, no one had ever seen an EKG like hers before. My daughter went into the hospital for internal bleeding, I was expecting for her to come home well again and instead left that hospital with a daughter who was going to die from heart disease. Did this come out of the blue? Yes.

Size as it relates to age can change the EKG in some areas such at the T-Waves, but at this point in your son's life, those would already be changed over. How is he doing now and has anything happened as far as him being diagnosed at this point? take care    
Thank you for your feedback so far, could I just ask did your daughters diagnosis come completely out of the blue or had she been feeling unwell?

What I'm struggling with here really is the fact that he is so active and this is completely off radar!

I know what the ECG is saying etc, but it really doesn't add up to anything else (unless his size is an indicator)

Thanks again,