Pediatric Cardiology Community
LVH in 4 yr olds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

LVH in 4 yr olds

I really appreciate all the info i have been provided. What are the common causes for LVH in a child who seemingly loke healthy he is not over weight and has only had his bld pressure taken once that i know of when he had his well child last month. I know I have read that it is more common in obese child and those who have hypertension. We have an appt with pedi cardiolgist in about 3 weeks what info should I know before walking in there with my son (ie family history of heart disease) but is there any other research I should do. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks again
shauns_mom
I don't know where you got the information about LVH (HCM) being more common in obese children. That's a new one on me and I've been studying the cardiomyopathies for over 25 years. Everyone I know that has this disease has been thin. Family history is important, especially for knowledge of anyone in the family who has died suddenly at a young age. Check both sides of the family. Years ago (and sometimes still today) HCM was also known as IHSS or Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis. It is also sometimes called HOCM for Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. Idiopathic means: unknown cause, hypertrophic means thickening, subaortic means below the upper chamber of the heart (atrium) and stenosis means a narrowing. The cardiologist, if he determines this is a problem in your son will give you a prognosis and any restrictions on your son's activities. You want to ask him about what affect your son's growth will have on this heart disease. Ask about what tests should be done, (even tests on the entire family as this is often times a genetic disease). Echo, stress tests, EP Study, (a study of the electrical system of the heart) catherization, is he obstructed and if so will he have to have surgery, how often should these tests be done, what symptoms should you be on the look out for and when it is important to call him an ambulance or go to the ER, should he have antibiotics before seeing a dentist or having any minor proceedures done. What medicine will he have to take (usually Calcium channel Blockers work better than Beta Blockers) In the meantime keep your son quiet until you see the PC. When is your son going to have an echo done. For both of you, I do hope the EKG was wrong; this is not something you want your little boy to have, certainly not diagnosed during childhood. Take care
I completely agree with the previous poster. Ask about tests..anything that comes to your mind..thats why the doctors there! Yes, family histroy does play a huge ROLE. Thats where I got my hypertension..I think 2 or 3 family members of mine died of heart disease related to hypertension. Causes range..youll just have to wait for the echo..Lets see...a cause could be a structural deformity with his heart..,just something that's making it work harder.  I wish you and your son the very best!
Once again I appreciate all the info,I to hope the EKG was wrong.As for family I am stumped none of my parents, grandparents or even aunts and uncle have heart problems. I will have to look more closely into my husband side. I would love to try and calm my son down he is already taking ritalin (5mg) daily half tab in the am and half tab at lunch but with in 3-4 hours he is boucing off the walls and now I worry even more because of this. Once he gets started he is not easy to stop even when he gets upset and I try to console him it takes at least 15 to bring him back down to a calm state. I will keep in mind all the ?'s to ask the PC and hopefully everything will be ok.
Shaun_mom
I don't envy you any trying to calm him down!! The family thing doesn't really surprise me either. No one in our family (both sides) has HCM yet our daughter ended up with one of the worse cases in the country. Did you see the EKG yourself? If so what do you remember it looking like?