Pediatric Cardiology Community
Life threatening Single Right Coronary Artery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Does anyone here have or know someone with a single right coronary artery? Really hoping to find others with this uncommon coronary artery anomaly ~ If so please message me :) My 14 yr old son has it and his variation is the dangerous one and trying to weigh all options regarding.  He had a cath on Thursday and they said his left artery arises from the right and goes between the great vessels. Others with this are found after sudden death or when symptomatic.  There is very limited or no data on those with it living without concerns his doc said.  They are doing a stress test in two weeks to see if he is symptomatic to decide if to treat or not and it scares me.  I dont know whats worse, the surgery (does this mean he is now ok and can resume a normal life?) or waiting to see if he suddenly has an issue and hoping we call 911 on time. Really scared and desperate for advice ~ Thanks so much! Robin ~
i have a friend whose son has this defect. they also found it when he was a teenager and he is doing very well now!  If you want to give me your contact info, I can pass it on to her. God bless you...I went through a scare two yrs ago with my teenager too. they thought she had this defect because they could not find the origin of her left artery, but after an MRI, they discovered that her valve was not in the right place, which is not normal, but is not considered a defect....have they done an MRI on your son?
My son has almost the same defect.  RCA from the LCA and coursing between the great vessels.  He had Open heart surgery at Texas Children's Hospital and had it "revised" two years ago.  he is doing great and goes every six months for check ups with the cardiologist.
I am 53 and found out 2 yrs ago that I have right coronary anomaly. They found it while doing a catheterization. I had been getting out of breath when going up a flight of stairs so that is why I had the cath done. I am doing wonderfully since then as I simply take a diuretic which helps a lot. I exercise normally but have to stop more often to catch my breath and let me heart catch up. Other than that all is well.