Pediatric Cardiology Community
Long QT Syndrome
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long QT Syndrome

I would like some information about LQTS - acquired -drug - Triptans.  My son's stress test EKG showed a QTc of 461 and the printout from the computer strip states long QT, but none of his doctor's mentioned this.  The EKG states "Abnomral ECG"  He gets very lightheaded and out of breath during exercise and not from being out of shape. This started in the fall during intense and strenuous training.  His symptoms coincided with taking a new triptan for migraines. Shortly thereafter he started having blurred vision, eyes crossing, cognitive deficits, lightheadedness all the time and near syncope during exercise.  Our pediatric cardiologist says all his tests are normal, even though on this same stress test the techs and nurses could not get a bp reading when he stopped the test, but after 5 minutes of rest they finally got a reading of 220/60 with a hr of 185.  We are being referred to an EP ped cardiologist - but the earliest appt we can get is the end of May.  In the meantime his drs are saying for him to "recondition" and exercise and he also is on a anti-depressant that is on the list of drugs that can trigger LQTS.  So I am concerned about this.  All resting EKGs have not shown this, but the last one was higher on the QTc - 420, than an earlier EKG done in November  - 403. Latest idea is vasovagal, but his bp and hr do not drop - stress test showed that.  His bp has been creeping up during the 5 months he has been ill - been around 149/90 for the past 3 weeks, and he is not getting better in terms of being able to exercise - even light stuff with a home nurse/PT makes him lightheaded.   Any ideas or information would be very helpful.