Pediatric Cardiology Community
Low blood pressure in 12 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Low blood pressure in 12 year old

My husband has high blood pressure, therefore, takes his blood pressure daily.  My step-daughter who has larger arms than me decided to take her blood pressure also. We have noticed that her blood pressure is 80/50 most of the time and heartbeat around 60 over below.  She does not seem to have the energy that the other children have and I have noticed this all of her life.  When she runs, she cannot keep up with them and gets extremely short of breath.  She is slightly overweight about 5'1" and 115lbs.  She is a vegetarian and has been for approximately a year now.  She still drinks milk skim and eats cheese and eggs, but no meat.  Should we be concerned about her low blood pressure or is this normal for a child that is a vegetarian?  
Hi there,
My BP runs the same as your step daughters and I am 38. her BP being that low is one factor she has no energy. have you checked her for anemia (I am not saying she isn't eating proper at all, I eat proper and I am very anemic) that is also a factor of why I have little energy. The only thing my doctor said to me was add salt to bring up my BP, which I can stand salt.

Now i ahve a question for you. is she always cold. I don't care if it is 75-80 i am always cold and my hubby thinks it is from a low BP having a low BP is actually good. it doesn't make your heart work as hard, but I am not sure in a 12 year old.
I would look into it.
good luck
michelle
She is very warm most of the time.  She wears short sleeve shirts to school in the winter.  I do not know how she can stand it, but she is always warm.  I think I will get her iron checked as she has been getting her period since she was 10.  Maybe that is a factor in her low blood pressure.  She does seem to puff a lot though, when she runs and during the mile run at school, she walked the entire time.  I have noticed her puffing at age 7 when she was not a vegetarian.  Time for a checkup.  She needs shots anyways due to her being 12 now.  Thanks for your response.
I don't hionestly think it has anything t do with her eating habits. she doesn't turn any color around her mouth or on her lips when she is short of breath or in "distress" is she?  I would say if she wasn't anemic and they said a majority of kids are anemic, but the question is how bad. then It wouldn't hurt to get a check up with a cardiologist. it has been going on long enough. oh another thought does she cough a lot a night?

They checked my vit. b-12 that will show part of the reason why we are anemic.
good luck
michelle
I found a website that said that vegetarians in adult women had been shown to have blood pressure as low as 80/50 and normal for a child heartrate is 50 to 180.  It also went on to say that vegetarians have a 28% less chance of developing heart disease.  So, her blood pressure being low may be a good thing especially with heart disease in the family and her dad (my husband) only 42 having high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  When she gets her 12 year old shots, I will have the doctor check her iron also at that time.  She could be low on iron also.  The website said also that a lot of vegetarians are anemic or are low on iron.  As far as the out of breath, I wonder if it is just an out of shape thing as she is more of an indoor person and doesn't want to go outside much in the winter or summer.  She has a severe chronic form of psorasis on her face, neck, legs, arms, eyelids etc.  The sun makes it worse.  With some people the sun makes it better, but with her the sun makes it worse.  Thanks for your comments.  
Good luck and I  hope things will get better
michelle